Maybe you’re unhappy with the amount of bloatware Samsung put on the new Samsung Galaxy S4? Maybe you want to get rid of TouchWiz? Maybe you want to overclock the device? Or undervolt it? Or change what apps can be opened using the multi-window feature on the device? There are any number of benefits to rooting a device and here at TheUnlockr, we’re pretty much convinced it’s the way to go. Here’s how to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 using a program called Motochopper.
1. Download the USB drivers and install them on your computer.
2. On your Galaxy S4, pull down the notification bar and click the gear at the top right to be taken to Settings.
3. Scroll down and tap More > About Device.
4. Scroll down to the bottom and tap Build Number repeatedly until it says you are a developer.
5. Hit back.
6. Click Developer Options.
7. Turn ON USB Debugging.
8.Plug in the device via USB to your computer.
1. Download the Motochopper program.
Motochopper (link to the exploit is in the first post)
2. Extract the .zip file to your desktop on your computer.
3. Open the newly extracted folder.
4. Double click the run.bat file if using Windows | or open Terminal on Mac and type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line:
5. Approve the connection on your device.
6. Wait for it to root the device.
7. Once done, you should see SuperSU in your app drawer on the device indicating it worked.
If this procedure helped you, please head to the developer of the script’s post here and thank/donate to them!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
For more of our modding, hacking, and advanced tinkering tutorials, head to our Rooting and Jailbreaking section.
For more of our tips and tricks, head to our How To section.