Since iOS 7 is out of Beta, this procedure and the links below no longer work. iOS 8 Beta is here though for now, if interested…
If you can’t wait to try out Apple’s new update to their mobile operating system, iOS 7, there is a way you don’t have to… Seriously, all you have to do is follow our step by step procedure to update your iPhone to the latest iOS 7 firmware. I know what you’re thinking, “What’s the catch?” The only catch is that it is still technically in beta so that means that not all of it will work 100% correctly, but that won’t stop you now will it? So what are you waiting for? Get at it below and let us know in the comments what you think of the new iOS 7.
If you don’t want to do this, you can always wait till Fall to get it from Apple…
1. If you are jailbroken or unlocked, this will make you lose that so if you want to keep that, please wait until there is a jailbreak and unlock for iOS 7. If you don’t care, you can unjailbreak your iPhone using our video and then continue with this procedure.
2. You will NOT BRICK your iPhone. The worst that happens is if you hit Restore it won’t let you activate the phone (will be stuck on the connect to iTunes situation). All you have to do it then follow these steps to get back to iOS 6, no biggie HERE (yes it says it’s for unjailbreaking but it works to downgrade as well). You can also use that procedure to downgrade back to iOS 6 if you just don’t want to use iOS 7 anymore, too.
3. Some people may be concerned by the message in iTunes that says it will verify the install with Apple. Don’t be scared, it does that with every iOS version to check if it’s a legit version of iOS (and this is the version directly from Apple). Goes through the verification without any issue (so long as you hit update and not restore).
4. You must have the latest version of iTunes installed. Download it here if you don’t have it.
1. Select the iOS 7 firmware for your specific device from the list below and save the IPSW file to your desktop.
Beta 5 Downloads (try to use these first, if they give you an error then try another beta file for your device) –
Beta 5 Downloads (only use these if the newer Beta files above do not work) –
Beta 4 Downloads (only use these if the newer Beta files above do not work) –
Beta 3 Downloads (only use these if the newer Beta files above do not work) –
Beta 2 Downloads (only use these if the newer Beta files above do not work) –
Beta 1 Downloads (only use these if the newer Beta files above do not work) –
*If you aren’t sure what version to download use this as a reference – iPhone Versions (look for the model number on that chart and use the corresponding file with that model number in the filename.
1. Open iTunes.
2. Plug in your iOS device via USB cable.
3. Click on your iOS device in iTunes on the left side.
4. Click Backup and wait for it to backup your device.
5. Hold Option and click Check for Update (if using Windows, hold down Shift and click Check for Update).
6. When the selector comes up, choose the IPSW file you downloaded earlier and click OK.
1. If you’re data was erased for some reason, select Restore Backup and choose your backup file you just created to get back all your apps, contacts, etc.