Someone over at AllAndroid has created a .zip file exploit which can allow you to use SU (root access) through ADB on the Droid. Now this is NOT going to load any custom ROMs just yet, BUT it is the first step (and the hardest one mind you) so if you are a developer, enjoy! For the rest of us, I’d wait until there is something to do with the new rooting ability (or until we have a custom recovery image etc.) and just know for now that it has been done! 🙂
1. Download the Droid-Root.zip below:
2. Rename the Droid-Root zip file to update (please make sure the full name in the properties when right clicking the file is update.zip or that it is update and is a .zip file type).
3. Save it to the root of you SD card (not in any folder, just on the SD card itself).
4. Turn off the Droid.
5. Turn the Droid back on by holding down power and the X key on the physical keyboard until the /!\ screen comes up.
6. When you do push Volume Up and Camera till the menu comes up.
7. Select Apply Update.zip using the physical keyboard and let it install.
8. Reboot when done.
1. Download the following file:
Droid Rooting Tools (Updated 01/07/10)
2. Unzip the file.
3. Plug your phone in to the computer via USB. Pull down the notification bar and click Mount to mount the SD card.
4. Copy the Tools folder from the Zip file to the root of your SD card (do not put it inside any other folders, just put it on the SD card).
5. Unplug the phone from the computer when the folder has been copied over.
6. Open the Market on the phone and download Linda File Manager (if you don’t already have it).
7. Open Linda File Manager and navigate to the Tools folder we just copied to the SD card.
8. Click on the DroidRootHelper.apk and install it using the Package installer. (If it tells you to goto Settings, go and check the box to allow non market apps).
9. Open DroidRootHelper once it is installed and click on the following in this order:
Install Flash Image
Flash SirPsycoS’s .12.0 recovery
1. Use our Setup USB Drivers procedure then once you can see your phone’s serial number in ADB come back to this procedure.
All set! You have root access and a custom Recovery Image.
Next step is to load a custom ROM.
Goto ourprocedure to flash custom ROMs onto your Droid!
Thanks Pedro for sending it in! !