1. This only works on the XT701 NOT the XT720 (as far as we know).
1. Download the drivers for your computer and unzip them. Then double click the program inside to install the drivers.
Unzip the drivers folder you downloaded (32 bit OR 64 bit), then double click the Motorola Consumer Driver Installer application and install the drivers.
2. Follow our How To Setup ADB Procedure until you get the serial number to pop up then return to this procedure.
1. Download RSD Lite and the rooting files.
2. Unzip the rooting files and copy the su and superuser.apk files to the AndroidSDK\tools folder on your computer (that you setup using our ADB procedure).
3. Install RSDLite by double clicking the RSD Lite.msi file you just downloaded.
4. Once RSDLite is installed, plug in your phone to the computer via USB cable.
5. Turn the phone off while it is plugged in.
6. Turn on the phone by holding down Power and Volume Down and Camera at the same time on the phone.
7. Open the RSDLite program by right clicking it and selecting Run As Administrator.
8. Click on the “…” button next to the filename box and select the .sbf file that was inside the rooting files zip folder you extracted earlier.
9. Once it is selected, hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing the phone.
1. With the phone on and plugged in via usb cable, open the command prompt on your computer by going to Start then typing in cmd and hitting enter in the search box.
2. Now, in the command prompt type the following with hitting enter at the end of each lin:
adb push su /system/xbin
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
chown 0:0 /system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
3. After the phone should reboot and you should see the superuser permissions app in your application drawer. If you do, you have root access!
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola XT701 procedure.
Thanks to Skrillax_CZ!
Thanks to JBoogie3!