Want to root your Samsung Galaxy S II? Sick of having to search for a rooting procedure for your specific version of the Galaxy S II? Here’s how to root all of them and flash a custom recovery image as well.I. Before You Begin
1. This SHOULDN’T erase content on your device, but with that being said, please backup all your pictures, contacts, etc. before beginning this procedure. Just in case.
II. Flash a Custom Recovery onto the Device
1. Download Samsung Kies and install it on your computer.
2. Turn off your phone.
3. While the phone is off, hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons at the same time and plug in your phone via USB cable after you have installed Kies in order to have it install the correct drivers for your device and the device should automatically boot into download mode.
4. Once the drivers are installed and your device can be recognized properly by your computer, make sure to CLOSE KIES completely. If it is running during the next steps, even in the background, it can cause issues.
5. Download Odin and open it.
6. Download the Recovery file for your specific device and save that to your computer.
Galaxy S II i9100 Recovery (Read the developer’s post to decide which file in the third post to download)
7. With the device plugged in and Odin open, click on the PDA button in Odin and select the Recovery file you just downloaded.
8. Select Start and this should flash the recovery to the device and reboot it.
III. Root the Device
1. Once the device reboots, mount the USB storage so we can transfer files to it.
2. Download the Superuser zip file and save it to your computer.
3. Copy the Superuser .zip file to the root of your device’s sd card (Not in any folders, just on the sd card itself. Do NOT extract the file, leave it as a .zip)
4. Once it is copied to the device, unplug the device from the computer and turn it off.
5. Turn the device back on by holding down the volume down, volume up button, and the power button. Let go of the power button once the device vibrates but continue to hold the volume buttons until the recovery screen comes up.
6. Once the recovery screen comes up, use the volume buttons to scroll down to install zip from sd and then select the superuser .zip file we downloaded earlier.
7. Once it flashes, select go back, then reboot system now.
8. You should now see the superuser icon in your device’s app drawer. If so, you are all set!
IV. Load a Custom ROM (Optional)
1. Head to our How To Load a Custom ROM procedure