If you have rooted your device, the obvious next step would be to flash a custom recovery. This will enable your device to flash custom ROMs, root/unroot your phone, wipe data (also available on the stock recovery) and many other functions that a stock recovery won’t have. Read on to know how to get this on your ZTE Score.
I. Before You Begin
1. Your ZTE Score needs to be rooted before continuing. Use our guide on rooting the X500 before you proceed.
2. Download the ClockworkMod Recovery file.
3. Install the Terminal Emulator app from Google Play to your device.
II. Flashing the ClockworkMod Recovery
1. Extract the ZTE_x500_CWM_RECOVERY.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Connect your device in USB Mass Storage Mode.
3. Copy recovery.img to the topmost folder of your SD card (which means it shouldn’t be copied into any folders but be placed in the root of the SD card).
4. Disconnect the device.
5. Open up the Terminal Emulator app and run the following commands or follow the screenshot underneath the commands if you want a bit more clarity:
- Type su, then press enter.
- Then type flash_image recovery sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.
7. Once done, turn off your device.
8. Hold the Volume Down and the Camera buttons, and then hold the power button until you see “Android System Recovery” pop up on the screen. Then press the menu button to enter your newly flashed ClockworkMod Recovery!!
III. Flashing a Custom ROM (once ROMs become available)
1. Download your favorite ROM from our ROMs Section.
2. Copy the ROM zip file to the topmost folder of your SD card.
3. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
4. Select Wipe/Erase Data from the ClockworkMod Menu.
5. Once the wipe is complete, select “Install zip from SD card.”
6. Navigate to the ROM file you copied to your SD card and select it to run.
7. Reboot when done!!
Thanks to amft on the CricketUsers Forum for the providing the CWM file!! Be sure to donate to him if you like his work.