The Samsung Galaxy S 4G is a slightly tweaked version of the Vibrant on T-Mobile and is similar in most respects to the original device except for its 4G support. This how-to will show how to root this device running Gingerbread 2.3.6 and if your device is still on Froyo 2.2.1, help you upgrade to Android 2.3.6 and then root it.
I. Upgrading to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread
Skip this section if you are already running Android 2.3.6.
1. Download and Kies Mini.
2. Make sure USB Debugging is not enabled on your device. Go to Settings > Application > Development and then uncheck the USB Debugging tickbox to do this.
3. Open Kies Mini and connect your device to the computer.
4. Select Kies when your device asks for the type of connection.
5. Once the device is recognized and the necessary drivers are installed, click Upgrade.
Once your device reboots, it should be running Gingerbread 2.3.6.
II. Backing up the efs Folder
The files in the efs folder at the root of your device’s file system are very important and if anything should go wrong, these files will aid in getting your device working again. Here’s how to back them up.
1. Download and install File Expert.
2. Open File Expert on your device and click on My Files > Phone Internal Storage.
3. You should now see a folder named efs here. Tick the checkbox next to it and then click on Copy. Now, navigate to a folder on your SD card and paste it there. You can then connect your device to a computer and back it up in a safe location on your PC.
III. Rooting the Galaxy S 4G
2. Extract the SuperOneClickv2.3.1-ShortFuse.zip you download above to a folder on your desktop.
3. Enable USB Debugging on your device. Go to Settings > Application > Development and then check the USB Debugging tickbox to do this.
4. Connect your device to your PC.
5. Double-click SuperOneClick.exe from the extracted folder.
6. Click on Donate Later.
7. Finally, click on Root.
Your Galaxy S 4G should be rooted once it reboots!!
All credits go to shortfuse for creating SuperOneClick tool and to lumin30 for clearing up the finer points of the whole procedure!! Be sure to thank or donate to them (you can click on Donate Now on the SuperOneClick application when prompted) if you liked this procedure!!