Now that you have rooted your Viewpad 7, the next step that will ultimately lead to flashing custom ROMs is of course installing a custom recovery image. Installing a custom recovery image not only enables you to flash custom ROMs but also gives you the option to back up your device using Nandroid among other useful features. Read on then to know how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Viewpad 7.
I. Before You Begin
1. You should be rooted for this procedure to work. If you are not, use our guide on how to do this before you installed CWM on your Viewpad 7.
2. Make sure that your device is charged to at least 75% before you begin this procedure.
3. You should have ADB set up prior to following this procedure. Use our guide on the same to help you with this.
II. Necessary Downloads
1. flash_image.zip [attached to the first post on this thread]
2. cwrecovery.zip [attached to the first post on this thread]
III. Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Viewpad 7
1. Extract flash_image.zip to a folder on your desktop. You should end up with a file called just flash_image without an extension.
2. Connect your device to your PC and copy both the flash_image and cwrecovery.zip to your device’s SD card.
3. Open up a command prompt window. To do this, press Windows key + R on your keyboard, type in cmd and hit enter.
4. Enter ADB by typing in adb shell and hit enter.
5. Type in su and hit enter to gain superuser access.
6. Type in cat /proc/mtd and hit the enter key. This will bring up a list of partitions available on your device.
7. Back up each partition by running the following command: cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/recovery.img (The partition being backed up by this command is recovery, repeat the same command but change the name of the partition according to those listed in the previous step).
8. Now type in the following commands to replace the stock recovery:
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img
That’s it! You have just installed ClockworkMod Recovery on the Viewpad 7.
IV. Accessing ClockworkMod Recovery
1. Power down your device.
2. Press both the Volume keys and the Power button simultaneously for a few seconds.
3. Enter ClockworkMod Recovery and use the Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate and the Power button to select your preferred option.
V. Flashing Custom ROMs (Optional)
If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.