The Viewsonic Viewpad 7 has been around for roughly two years now but for those who are still looking to milk out some more from this aging Froyo device, rooting is the best way forward as they will later on be able to flash custom ROMs of higher Android versions once they have CWM on their tablet. This guide below will show you how to take that first step and root the Viewsonic Viewpad 7.
I. Before You Begin
1. Make sure that your device is at least 75% charged before you begin.
2. Back up anything you feel is important before starting with this procedure.
3. This procedure uses a Windows 7 PC; for those running Windows XP, make sure that you have .NET Framework v2.0 and above for the SuperOneClick application to work without problems.
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Rooting the Viewsonic Viewpad 7
1. Extract SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do this, go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Developer Options and tick the USB Debugging checkbox.
3. Connect your device to your PC and if there are any drivers being installed at this point, let Windows 7 do so.
4. From the folder you extracted above, run SuperOneClick.exe.
5. On SuperOneClick, make sure that rageagainstthecage is selected under the Exploit section.
6. Click on Root.
Your Viewpad 7 should be rooted once the application confirms that your device is rooted! If your device or SuperOneClick is inactive for more than 30 seconds during the procedure, remove the USB plug for a second and reconnect it.
IV. Unrooting the Viewpad 7
1. Follow the same steps as in Section III until Step 5.
2. Click on Unroot.
V. Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery (Optional)
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.