UPDATE 10/07/2013: The latest OTA’s patch this exploit. Any System Version newer than and including 139.12.54 will not be compatible with this exploit! Updating to the new OTA if you have used this rooting method will also most likely crash your phone so please do not update if you used this (find a way to unroot before updating).
1. Head to the developers post here and download the correct version of the apk file for your carrier in the first post and save it to your desktop.
2. Plug in your Moto X via USB cable.
3. Copy the apk file over to the internal storage of your Moto X (not inside any folders, just in the top directory so it’s easier to find later).
4. Pull down the notification bar and tap the quick settings icon at the top right.
5. Tap Settings.
6. Tap Security under Personal.
7. Check Unknown Sources ON under Device Administration.
8. Open the Play Store, search for, and install ES File Explorer (or any other file browser app you prefer).
9. Open the File Explorer app and find the Rooting app .apk file you copied over and click it, then click Install.
10. Wait for the device to reboot a few times.
11. When it is done rebooting, open the Play Store, search for, and install SuperSU.
12. After that, you are all set.
1. Head to our How To Flash a Custom Recovery on the Moto X procedure (coming soon) or head to our other Moto X How To’s to learn what else you can do with your newly rooted Moto X.
2. You can also SIM unlock your device by heading to our How To Unlock the Moto X procedure should you want to use a different carrier’s SIM card in your device.
If this procedure helped you please head to the developer of the app and thank/donate to them here.
iPhone Screens and Light Kits on sale for a limited time! Head to the shop to check it out! Dismiss