If you’re one of the millions of people out there using dating apps to meet other singles in your neighborhood, then there’s a good chance that – in addition to the plethora of other dating apps out there – Tinder is one you have installed. And if you’ve been using it recently to swipe your way to love, you may have noticed that it recently got an update –an update to try and get you to buy things.
In an effort for Tinder to start making some money off of its rather sizable user base, they’ve added a new Tinder Plus tier. If you pay the $9.99/month (or $19.99/month if you are over the age of 30) you get the following perks:
- Rewind your last swipe – for all those accidental swipe lefts that could potentially have lost you your soulmate.
- Turn off ads – There are now Bud Light ads that if you swipe right on you can get “entered to win a getaway with a bunch of other singles”.
- and Change your location – you know, if you are planning to travel somewhere else and would like to setup a “friend” for when you arrive perhaps…
Now, while I can’t help with the ads or the rewinding of your last swipe (fate made you swipe left, it wasn’t meant to be, just go with it), I can help you with changing your location should you be interested (and should you have an Android device). Here’s how, you, world traveling romeo, you.
How to Change the Location in Tinder
First up, you do need an Android phone for this. We’ll be using a built in feature of Android to do this so, of course, it won’t work on iOS or Windows Phone.
1. Go to Settings > About Tablet/Phone.
2. Keep tapping Build Number until it tells you you are a developer.
3. Check Allow mock locations on.
4. Go to Settings > Location.
5. Tap on Mode.
6. Change the location mode from High Accuracy to Device Only. This is to stop Tinder from using the Wifi to pinpoint your location instead of the GPS which we’re going to trick shortly.
8. Open Everywhere for Tinder and tap on a location you want to trick Tinder into thinking you are in.
9. Open Tinder and go to Settings > Discovery Preferences and change your Search Distance to something different than what it is currently set (this is to force Tinder to reacquire your location).
10. Swipe away and notice that the classy new people are mentioning the new place in their description.
Now go forth and swipe right for love. Who knows, maybe you’ll seem more exotic and mysterious to people in another location (then again, maybe not).