Every Android device has, what is called, a recovery image on it. This is basically a part of the Android operating system that you or the manufacturer can access if your device becomes unresponsive and then use it to restore your device.
A custom recovery image, however, is a recovery image that a developer has altered that can not only help the device if it becomes responsive, but also has the added benefits of allowing us to make major changes to the operating system and have even further customizations on your device.
In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash a custom recovery on your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (D550X).
After flashing a custom recovery on Xperia Z1 Compact, you’ll be able to:
- Perform full backups of your device (literally save EVERYTHING from it).
- Increase your device’s performance (after flashing something called a kernel).
- Increase your device’s battery life.
- Flash custom ROMs (these make it possible to flash a newer version of Android, totally new user interfaces, add tons of new features, and much more).
Interested? Here’s how to flash a custom recovery on your Z1 Compact:
I. Before You Begin
1. Back up everything you feel is important and charge your device to 75% or more before you start.
2. Make sure you have the necessary drivers installed before you begin.
3. This procedure only works on the Sony Xperia Z1 with an unlocked bootloader and running Android 4.3 (14.2.A.1.114).
II. Necessary Downloads
1. Z1c_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-114_v01.img [Download link available in this post]
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Z1 Compact
1. Extract adb-fastboot.zip to a folder on your desktop.
2. Copy Z1c_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-114_v01.img to the extracted folder.
3. Boot your device into fastboot mode. To do this, power off your device; press and hold the Volume Up button and connect your device to your PC using a compatible microUSB cable.
4. Hold Shift and right-click on the empty space in the extracted adb-fastboot folder, then click on Open command window here.
5. Run the following commands:
fastboot devices [You should see a string of alphanumeric characters, which means your device is recognized by your PC properly; if not, install the drivers and try again]
fastboot flash boot Z1c_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-114_v01.img
IV. Rooting the Xperia Z1 Compact
Use our guide here to root your Z1 Compact.
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Sony Xperia Z1 to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.