Finding an app in Android Wear isn’t the easiest. Sure, you can tap the watch and use the voice prompt and say “Run [InsertAppNameHereYouDon’tMindEveryoneAroundYouKnowingWhatItIs]”, but to get it to launch without using your voice, you have to start Google Now’s voice prompt, then scroll down to start, tap it, then swipe through to find the app.
Now, though, there’s an easier, and frankly, nicer looking way to go about it. Thanks to a developer on the Play Store, you can easily download his app, open it once, and then use it by swiping in from the top left of the watch face to get it to show a lovely grid system of all your Android Wear apps like we’re used to on regular Android. Ah, familiarity.
On top of this, you can also customize the drawer a bit. From changing the background color and opacity, to the number of columns and size of apps in the grid, to turning on and off the app labels, there’s enough to make it slightly different than anyone else using the same app (and I’m sure if the app becomes a bit more popular, the developer will be adding new customization options in there as well). Here’s how to install it and set it up.
I. Install the Wear Mini Launcher
1. Open the Play Store on the phone that is paired with the Android Wear device.
2. Search for the Wear Mini Launcher and tap Install.
II. Enable the Wear Mini Launcher
1. Double Tap the Watch face to get the Google Now voice prompt to open.
2. Tap on Start…
3. Tap on Wear Mini Launcher to open it.
4. Make sure Enable Drawer is checked (you won’t need to do this again unless you turn the watch off).
III. Use the New App Drawer
1. Swipe your finger from the top left corner of the watch to the right to open the drawer.
2. Tap an app to launch it.
3. Swiping from the right to the left will close the drawer.
IV. Customize the App Drawer
1. On your phone that is paired with the Android Wear device, open the Wear Mini Launcher.
2. Tap on the three dots in the top right corner and then Settings.
3. Change the settings as you see fit.
Check out our other How To’s for other neat things you can do with the watch.