How to Flash a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Gio (GT-S5660)
The next obvious step after rooting an Android device is flashing a custom Recovery Image. A custom recovery not only helps you flash custom ROMs, but it lets you take backups of your current ROM so in case you mess up with your device, you can easily revert back to the working firmware. The widely popular ClockworkMod Recovery’s available for the Galaxy Gio and the guide below shows how you can install it on your device. Here you go:
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. You can check out our root guide to root your device.
2. This will replace your current recovery with the CWM Recovery.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. ClockworkMod Recovery (Download link’s given in the post #8)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Gio (GT-S5660):
1. Place the ClockworkMod Recovery you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Transfer the CWM Recovery over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once the file’s been transferred, unplug your device from your PC.
5. Turn OFF your device.
6. Reboot your device into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold the Home+Power buttons together.
7. Once inside Recovery, select apply update from sdcard.
8. Now select the CWM Recovery file you copied earlier to your device.
9. It’ll start flashing the file on your device.
10. Once it’s done, reboot your device.
11. And you’re all set!
Awesome! You’ve successfully installed the ClockworkMod Recovery on your device and you should be able to flash custom ROMs and Mods right away!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Gio (GT-S5660) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.