How to Flash a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100)
Next step after rooting your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is, flash a custom recovery image. While the root-access lets you install root-only apps, a custom recovery will let you install custom ROMs as well as all sorts of flashable content. This provides an opportunity to change the appearance of your device completely without paying a penny and you don’t have to be a geek to do that. It’s as simple as going through a few clicks and you have a custom ROM installed on your device. Sounds interesting? huh. Let us show you how you can install TWRP Recovery — a custom recovery — on your Galaxy Note 2.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. You can check out our root guide to root your device.
2. This will replace your current recovery with the TWRP Recovery.
3. This works for the GT-N7100 model only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. TWRP Recovery Image (Download the latest version having .img as extension)
III. Installing TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100):
1. Download and place both the files onto your Desktop.
2. Unzip files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop.
3. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device by going to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
4. Once it’s been enabled, connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then select Open command window here.
6. Type in following command into the window replacing recoveryfile.img with the actual name of the Recovery Image you downloaded:
adb push recoveryfile.img /sdcard
7. Next issue the following command. Again, replace the recoveryfile.img with the actual name of the Recovery Image you have.
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfile.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9
8. It’ll install the recovery on your device
9. Once it’s done, reboot your device.
10. You’re all set!
Excellent! Your Galaxy Note 2 has been successfully equipped with the TWRP Recovery and it can now be loaded with custom ROMs!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) to learn how to do that.
Image Credit: The Register
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.