How To: Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G/3GS (3.0.1 Firmware)
So as new iPhones and firmware come out, so does a new jailbreak and unlock. Here’s how to do the lastest Jailbreak and Unlock on your iPhone 3g or iPhone 3GS with 3.0 firmware on it.
UPDATE July 31st 2009: THE NEW 3.0.1 FIRMWARE IS OUT, IF YOU HAVE THIS FIRMWARE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JAILBREAK YET (UNTIL WE CAN JAILBREAK 3.0.1). WHEN THAT HAPPENS, WE WILL POST AN UPDATE IN THIS POST.
2. Then download the jailbreaking program:
iPhone Jailbreaking Software
3. Download iTunes
4. Once you have downloaded and installed iTunes, then open it.
5. Take your iPhone 3g/3GS and plug it in to the computer via the USB cable provided with the phone wait for the iPhone screen to pop up in iTunes (do not click anything in the screen though, just wait for it).
6. After iTunes reconizes the iPhone, turn off the iPhone.
7. Put the iPhone into DFU mode by:
I. Holding down the power button for 3 seconds till you see the Apple logo.
II. Once you see the Apple logo, and without letting go of the Power button, begin to hold the Home button as well (both buttons will be held at the same time) for 10 seconds and the screen has gone black.
III. Once the screen goes black, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for 20 more seconds or until iTunes pops up saying it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. Once that happens let go of everything and set the phone down. (The phone screen will appear as if it is off).
8. Now in iTunes, HOLD SHIFT (Mac Users HOLD OPTION) and click on the Restore button. This will bring up a dialog box for you to select a file.
9. Find the appropriate Firmware file that you downloaded in step 1 and click OK. iTunes should begin restoring the phone with the file selected. When this completes, we will have a fresh 3.0 Firmware iPhone
10. Close iTunes but leave the phone plugged in through the USB cable.
11. Turn off the phone.
12. Open the Jailbreaking program you downloaded in step 2. Click Browse and look for the appropriate firmware file you downloaded in step 1 and click ok.
13. The program will ask you what you want to install, check off both Cydia and Icy and click continue.
14. It will ask you to make sure the phone is off before you begin. Click ok and get ready to hold buttons down (like we did before in step 7).
15. Follow it’s instructions for holding buttons down and when you are done the program will finish it’s process and the phone will reboot. Your phone is now Jailbroken!
Optional: If you want to unlock the phone click on our How To: Unlock the iPhone 3G/3GS video next.