How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Hero
I. Before You Begin
1. You MUST have done our How To Root the HTC Hero (Unrevoked Method) procedure before doing this one.
II. Loading a Custom ROM
1. If you have a GSM Hero head over to our HTC Hero ROMs
If you have a Sprint Hero, head over to the HTC Sprint Hero ROMs section
Choose a ROM you want to try (do NOT load a Sprint ROM on a GSM Hero or vice versa!). Download it and save it to your computer (do NOT extract it, leave it as a .zip)
2. Plug the phone in via USB cable and mount the sd card so we can transfer files to it.
3. Copy the ROM .zip file and save it to the root of the sd card (NOT in any folders just on the sd card itself). Once it is done copying, unplug the phone from the usb cable.
4. Turn off the phone, then turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power until the white bootloader screen comes up (if it finds the PC36IMG.zip on your sd because you didn’t delete it, just say NO when it asks you if you want to update). Now using the volume buttons select Fastboot, then select Recovery and wait for the phone to boot into recovery mode.
5. Scroll to Wipe Data, select wipe data/factory reset and then select wipe dalvik cache.
6. Now scroll to Apply .zip from sd card and select the ROM .zip file we saved to the sdcard and wait for it to finish flashing. Once it is done, hit reboot and you are all set! Enjoy! If you want to flash a different ROM, simply redo this procedure and choose a different ROM.
16 thoughts on “How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Hero”
You should NOT load a CDMA hero rom to a GSM hero!
Especially not the radio! You can brick your phone!
Thanks for the suggestion. I mention that in the video AND it says that on the ROM pages, but I can see how someone might get confused if they only read the written procedure. Just tweaked to be more clear.
Now it looks good.
Keep up the good work!
I’m new to android sorry.
When I press volume down and power off it shows me up only big warning sign like appearing in this video 2:30.
Only warning sign it’s meaning that I didn’t root it right?
I’ve used Unrevoked Method and it says Done.
by holding down DOWN Volume and Power button white bootloader is comes up but it shows only this:
Simlock. What should do? help please.
I’ve got HERO GSM with 2.1
Same problem here help please
I have the Same problem too, Please HELP
Same problem,please help. I have hero gsm,2.1.
i got the same .. after booting with volume down button .. 🙁
what to do ?
got the same problem… GSM Hero
I tried this and in recovery mode it will never boot help please.
hi i tried the unrevoked mehod for htc hero gsm with 2.1 after that i tried reboot and recovery all that is not working so u tell me how it going to work.
HTC Hero GSM
Firmware 2.1 update 1
software no. 184.108.40.206
I’ve rooted the phone with AndRoot.
Followed instruction above, but at item 4, I get just two options:
With no ‘Recovery’ option.
Just to add, its FroydVillain1.7.0-signed.zip that i’m trying to use.