How to Root the LG Volt
Got a LG Volt from Virgin and would like to root it? No worries, here’s how you can root your device and get the most out of it. By most we mean root-only apps that you can enjoy on your device once you’re rooted. Here’s how:
Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your LG Volt, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your LG Volt:
I. Before You Begin
1. This’ll void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for the consequences of this procedure. Do it at your own risk.
2. You don’t need a PC to do this procedure.
II. Rooting the LG Volt
1. Open a web browser on your device and head over to the Towelroot website.
2. Tap on the big Lambda icon. An app should begin downloading on your device.
3. Enable Unknown sources on your device by going to Menu > Settings > Security > Unknown sources.
4. Open File Manager and tap on the app that you downloaded in the second step. It’ll install on your device.
5. Launch the newly installed app from your App Drawer.
6. Tap on make it ra1n.
7. It should begin rooting your device.
8. When it’s done, reboot your device.
9. Head over to the Google Play store and download and install SuperSU on your device.
10. You’re now fully rooted!
Congrats! Your LG Volt is now rooted and can be loaded with your favorite root-only apps.
You can click here to find all of the LG Volt How To’s.
You can also find all of the LG Volt ROMs we have here.