The Galaxy Precedent is a very affordable Android phone from Straight Talk and if you didn’t know this already the device is similar in almost all respects to the Samsung Galaxy Prevail, that is available on Boost Mobile. We’ll show you how to root this device in this post and enjoy the benefits that rooting bestows upon the Galaxy Precedent including WiFi tethering. Read on to know how.
I. Before You Begin
1. There is currently no solution to unroot the Galaxy Precedent, so make sure that you really need root before proceeding.
2. Make sure that you have enough charge (more than 70% at the least) and back up your data before you begin in case you run into problems.
II. Necessary Files
1. KMS.zip [File attached to the first post on this thread].
III. Rooting the Galaxy Precedent
1. Make sure that you have installed the Samsung drivers you have downloaded above before proceeding.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. You can do this by heading to Settings > Applications > USB Debugging and checking the tickbox next to it.
3. Connect the device to your PC. Windows should now automatically install the necessary drivers to enable Debugging Mode for your device.
4. Unmount the microSD card. To do this, go to Settings > SD Card and Phone Storage, then select Unmount SD card.
5. Extract the KMS.zip file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
6. From the extracted folder, double-click on PrevailToExistence.bat to run it.
7. Follow the on-screen prompts and wait for the device to reboot.
8. Once the device reboots, it should be rooted. You’ll need to install busybox after this, which is available on Google Play.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.