With no cellular support whatsoever, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0 is a tablet for those who don’t need much from a device, even though it does offer plenty in the specs department for a mid-range tablet. Rooting the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0 may not give it the power to make calls but it will surely open up a world of new apps and customizations that were previously not possible on this dual-cored, 7-inch device. And if are okay with rooting it, the guide below is just the one for you!
Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0:
I. Before You Begin
1. Rooting your device may void your warranty or damage your device. Proceed at your own risk.
2. Charge your device to 75% or more and back up everything you feel is important before you start.
3. Make sure you have the necessary drivers installed before you start. Installing Samsung Kies usually takes care of this.
II. Necessary Downloads
2. T110.CWM.v22.214.171.124.tar.md5 [Download link available in this post under the CWM Recovery 126.96.36.199 section at the beginning of the post]
3. android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip [File attached to this post]
III. Installing Custom Recovery on the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0
1. Enable USB debugging on your device by going to Settings > Developer options. If you do not find Developer options on your device, go to Settings > About phone and keep tapping on the build number until you see the message ‘You are now a developer.’
2. Connect your device to your PC and copy android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip to your device’s SD card (internal or external); copy it to the main folder, not into any subfolders.
3. Disconnect your device and power it down.
4. Boot your device into Download mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for five seconds or so until you see the warning screen, then press the Volume Up button.
5. Extract Odin_v3.07.zip to a folder on your desktop.
6. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v3.07.exe to run the Odin tool.
7. On Odin, uncheck the Auto Reboot tickbox and make sure that only F. Reset Time is ticked under the Option section. This is important as ticking anything else here could end up bricking your device.
8. Connect your device (now in Download mode) to your PC using a compatible microUSB cable. The ID:COM field should now show the message ‘ADDED!’ which means your device is recognized and ready for flashing. If not, reinstall drivers and try again.
9. Click on the PDA button on Odin and navigate to the location of T110.CWM.v188.8.131.52.tar.md5, select it and then click Open to load it on to Odin.
10. Click on Start to starting flashing the ClockworkMod Recovery file.
11. Wait until you see the RES OK! message and then reboot your device directly into the custom recovery using the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously; let go of the Power button when you see the Samsung logo but continue holding the Volume Up and Home buttons until you get into recovery.
You now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device!
IV. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0
1. Once in recovery, use the volume buttons to highlight ‘install zip from sdcard’ and use the home button to execute the option.
2. Navigate to the location of the android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip file you copied to your SD card above and highlight and select it.
3. Select Yes on the next screen.
4. Once flashed, go back to the main menu and select ‘reboot system now.’
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0 is now rooted!