Have you been wondering how you can go about rooting your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact ever since you got the device in your hands? Well, we have you covered. I know how it feels to have the freedom to do literally everything with the device once it’s been rooted. You can install root-only apps, modify system files, and do almost everything you want (but make sure you don’t modify the system files unless you know what you’re doing). So for you guys, here’s our root procedure for the said device:
I. Before You Begin
1. This will void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible if you end-up bricking or damaging your device. Go ahead at your own risk.
2. You must have unlocked the bootloader of your device. Head over to the Sony website to unlock your device’s bootloader.
3. You should have Fastboot drivers installed on your PC. If you don’t, head here and download and install the latest drivers.
4. This should only work on Windows based PCs.
5. This should flash ClockworkMod Recovery as well.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Advance Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery and save it to your desktop.
Advance Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery (Download link’s given at the bottom of the first post)
3. Download SuperSU .zip and save it to your desktop.
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
1. Extract files from Fastboot to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Hold down Volume UP and plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift and right-clicking on any empty area and selecting Open command window here.
6. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace boot.img with the actual name of the kernel you have downloaded.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
7. When it’s done flashing, issue the following command:
8. Your device should reboot.
9. You’re done!
Congrats! The CWM Recovery has been successfully flashed on your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Now this recovery will let you flash the root binary files to help you gain root-access on your device. Here’s how you can go about rooting your Xperia Z3 Compact:
IV. Rooting the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
1. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the root of your SD card. It’s the topmost folder on your SD card.
3. When the file’s copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Turn your device back on by holding down Volume UP and Power buttons together.
6. Your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
7. Select Recovery using the Power buttons.
8. Select install zip from sdcard.
9. Select choose zip from sdcard.
10. Choose the SuperSU .zip file to be flashed on your device.
11. When the file’s flashed, reboot your device.
12. You’re all done!
Brilliant! Your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is now successfully rooted and it has a custom recovery, too. You can now go ahead and flash a custom ROM on it, or maybe try out some root-only apps to see how you can benefit from them.