Got a shiny new Sony Xperia Z3 and wish to root it to enjoy it at its fullest? No worries, here’s how you can do that. Rooting the Xperia Z3 isn’t a daunting task, and you should be able to root your device within a couple of minutes. Once rooted, you’ll be able to go beyond what your device can offer now. Here’s how:
Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Sony Xperia Z3, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Sony Xperia Z3:
I. Before You Begin
1. This will void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for the consequences of this procedure. Do it at your own risk.
2. This should work for the D66XX variants of the device.
3. You must have unlocked your bootloader before doing this procedure. You can do so by following the unlocking instructions given on this site.
4. You must be running on stock Android 4.4.4 firmware for this to work.
5. This should flash a custom recovery as well.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Advanced Stock Kernel and save it to your desktop.
Advanced Stock Kernel (Download link’s given in the first post)
3. Download SuperSU .zip and save it to your desktop.
SuperSU (Download link’s available in the second post)
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Sony Xperia Z3
1. Extract files from Fastboot to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Enable USB debugging on your device by heading to Menu > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging.
3. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click on any blank area on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot fastboot
6. Your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
7. Once there, issue the following command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
8. It should flash the boot image on your device.
9. When it’s done, issue the following command:
10. Your device should reboot.
Congrats! You’ve successfully flashed a custom recovery on your Sony Xperia Z3. It’s time to root your device, here’s how:
IV. Rooting the Sony Xperia Z3
1. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the root of your SD card.
3. When it’s copied, unplug your device from your PC.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Turn it back on by holding down Volume UP and Power buttons together.
6. Your device should reboot into CWM Recovery mode.
7. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
8. Choose SuperSU .zip to be flashed on your device.
9. Hit Yes when prompted and it should begin flashing the selected file on your device.
10. When the flashing’s done, reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
11. You’re all set!
Wonderful! Your Sony Xperia Z3 now has a custom recovery and root-access. These should allow you to install root-only apps and flash a custom ROM that you may have been waiting to do on your device. Enjoy!
You can click here to find all of the Sony Xperia Z3 How To’s.
You can also find all of the Sony Xperia Z3 ROMs we have here.