Being locked to a particular carrier prevents you from grabbing some of the amazing deals that the other carriers have for their customers. If you have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus that’s locked to a carrier, you can now unlock it to use it with whatever carrier you want. Once unlocked, it should work with any GSM carrier you want.
By unlocking your device, you’re allowing yourself to go for your favorite carrier instead of being stuck with the one you really don’t like. In order to unlock your device, you’re going to need an unlock code, and the below post explains how you can get one for yourself.
I. Locate the Device’s IMEI
1. Pull down the notification shade.
2. Tap the gear/settings icon at the top.
3. Scroll all the way down to About Phone and tap on it.
4. Tap Status.
5. Write down the IMEI number listed there.
II. Purchase an Unlock Code
1. Either Google for an unlock code provider or purchase one directly from us from our Unlock My Phone section linked below (the unlock code costs start at $29.95 and vary based on manufacturer/carrier. They also usually takes between 2-3 days and if a code cannot be produced a full refund is given).
III. Input the Unlock Code
1. You’ll eventually receive the email with the unlock code(s).
2. Remove the SIM card if there is one.
3. Insert an unauthorized SIM card into the device.
4. You will be prompted for a code when you turn on the device. Input the first code you received via email and click OK. If that doesn’t work, try the second code. Once it says successful, the device should say the new carrier’s name at the top left.
IV. Setup the Internet and MMS Settings
1. Go to Settings > More… > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
2. Tap the three dots (or plus sign) at the top right of the screen and select New APN.
3. Enter in all the information for your carrier into the proper fields. You can find your carrier’s internet settings here sorted by country/carrier alphabetically.
4. Tap the three dots at the bottom once all of that info is filled in and click Save.
5. Tap the dot to the right of the new APN in the list.
6. Pull down the notification bar and tap the quick settings button in the top right corner.
7. Turn on Airplane mode. Wait 10 seconds. Turn Airplane mode back off.
8. You are done.
And there you go. You’re now free to choose the carrier you want to use with your Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus, as it should work with any GSM carrier in the world. Enjoy!