How to Unroot the HTC One S
The HTC One series smartphones have always been a step ahead in terms of specifications and performance. HTC One S, being one of them, has got a great set of hardware that is needed to run Android smoothly on the smartphones. The development department for such smartphones usually run very faster than any other smartphones. If you have got into this a bit, you should have rooted your smartphone and enjoyed the custom ROMs on it. Finally, you want to unroot your smartphone to bring back all the stock apps and settings, here’s how you can do it. The following procedure has all the steps you should follow to unroot your HTC One S smartphone.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You should have rooted your device using the guide given here.
2. You must have Unlock_code.bin file on your PC. It is the file which you got during the bootloader unlock process.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Toolkit (Download link’s given in the first post)
2. RUU (Download link’s given in the first post)
III. Unrooting the HTC One S:
1. Download and place both the files onto your Desktop. Do NOT try to run the RUU file just yet.
2. Extract files from the Toolkit archive to your Desktop.
3. Place the Unlock_code.bin file in the data sub-folder of the Toolkit folder.
4. Connect the smartphone to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Double-click the Toolkit executable file and you should get a Window with a lot of options.
6. In the Recovery section, choose the Stock Recovery.
7. Hit the Flash Recovery button and the stock recovery will be flashed on your smartphone.
8. Your smartphone should reboot after the recovery is flashed on it.
9. Keep the smartphone connected to your PC, now from the Toolkit, choose the Relock Bootloader option and hit the Do Command button.
10. The bootloader of your smartphone will be relocked.
11. Choose Boot into Bootloader option from the Toolkit and then hit the Do Command option.
12. Select the Fastboot mode from the bootloader menu.
13. Now, keeping the smartphone connected to your PC, double-click the RUU file you downloaded earlier.
14. Follow on-screen instructions, make sure you don’t close the RUU window in between the process.
15. You’re now unrooted !
Although the procedure was a bit difficult, you’ve successfully unrooted your HTC One S smartphone and it’s back to stock firmware.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.