Perhaps you’re done playing with root and custom ROMs on your Motorola Moto X Play or perhaps you need to sell the device and get it back to stock? Regardless of the reason, it’s pretty easy to unroot your device and usually involves just flashing the stock firmware from the manufacturer onto the phone to get it back to an out-of-box state.
Some of the reasons for unrooting your Motorola Moto X Play are:
Sending in the device for warranty (most, but not all unrooting procedures reinstate the manufacturer warranty if you had one before rooting).
Starting over (simply undoing everything you did while rooted so you can have a clean slate to start over).
Fix any issues (Maybe rooting messed something up? No problem, unrooting will take care of it for you).
Ready to get started? Here’s how to unroot the Motorola Moto X Play:
I. Before You Begin
1. You should have rooted your device using our how to root the Motorola Moto X Play procedure.
2. This procedure should only work on Windows based PCs.
3. Ensure that Motorola USB drivers are installed on your PC. If they aren’t, install them first.
4. This should erase the data stored on your device. So backup anything that’s important for you.
5. This should only work for the XT1562 and XT1563 variants of the device.
How to Unroot the Motorola Moto X Play
You’re going to flash a stock ROM using Fastboot on your device so that your device is unrooted and back to the stock.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Stock ROM and save it to your desktop.
III. Unrooting the Motorola Moto X Play
1. Extract files from both Fastboot and Stock ROM over to your desktop by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Turn your device back on in bootloader mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
4. Your device should now be in bootloader mode.
5. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
6. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
7. Type in the following commands one by one into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter. Make sure the file names match the files available on your desktop.
fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock
8. When all of these commands are executed, run the following command to reboot your device:
9. Your device should reboot.
All set! You are now running stock firmware on your Motorola Moto X Play and have unrooted it.
Let me know if this worked for you in the comments below!