Perhaps you’re done playing with root and custom ROMs on your Motorola Moto X Style or perhaps you need to sell the device and get it back to stock? Regardless of the reason, it’s pretty easy to unroot your device and usually involves just flashing the stock firmware from the manufacturer onto the phone to get it back to an out-of-box state.
Some of the reasons for unrooting your Motorola Moto X Style are:
Sending in the device for warranty (most, but not all unrooting procedures reinstate the manufacturer warranty if you had one before rooting).
Starting over (simply undoing everything you did while rooted so you can have a clean slate to start over).
Fix any issues (Maybe rooting messed something up? No problem, unrooting will take care of it for you).
Ready to get started? Here’s how to unroot the Motorola Moto X Style:
I. Before You Begin
1. You should have rooted your device using our how to root the Motorola Moto X Style procedure.
2. This procedure should only work on Windows based PCs.
3. Ensure that proper Motorola USB drivers are installed on your Windows PC.
4. This will erase all the data stored on your device. So, backup everything that is important for you.
5. This only works for the XT1575 variant of the device. You should not try this on any other variant/device or you’ll brick it.
How to Unroot the Motorola Moto X Style
You’re going to use a tool that will flash the stock ROM to unroot and get your device back to the stock. Here’s how it works:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Restore to Stock Tool and save it to your desktop.
Restore to Stock Tool (Download link’s given in the first post)
III. Unrooting the Motorola Moto X Style
1. Extract files from Restore to Stock Tool over to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Head to Menu > Settings > About phone on your device and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it’ll say you’re a developer.
3. Head to Menu > Settings > Developer options and turn on the option that says USB debugging.
4. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
5. Right-click on FLASH-ALL.bat available on your desktop and select Run as administrator to launch the tool.
6. The tool should automatically start flashing stock ROM on your device.
7. Wait for the tool to finish its job.
8. When the tool’s done flashing ROM, reboot your device.
All set! You are now running stock firmware on your Motorola Moto X Style and have unrooted it.
Let me know if this worked for you in the comments below!