How To: Gain Root Access on the T-Mobile G1 (OBSOLETE)
PLEASE NOTE! This method is obsolete! Please refer to the newer Rooting/Loading Custom ROM methods on our site:
Unroot (G1) ORÂ Unroot(MyTouch), thenÂ Root, thenÂ Load a Custom ROM, Apps2SD/Hero etc.
So your friend with a G1 can not only use 2 fingers to zoom in and out on the internet (like the iPhone), but he can also load custom themes for free, AND he can tether his laptop through his 3G connection using Wifi! Let me guess, you want in?
No problem, let me show you how to get the most out of your G1.
1. First off, be sure to check out this great beginner’s guide by Skri11a over at XDA-Developers.com just to get a quick understanding of how this whole process/concept works and for some commonly used terms.
Click Here – http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=513061
2. Download the following required files to a folder on your computer.
3. Rename the HardSPL.zip file to update.zip.
4. Unzip the DREAIMG-RC29.zip file and take the DREAIMG.nbh file out and move that, the recovery image, and the update.zip (used to be HardSPL.zip)Â onto the very top folder (root folder, not within any sub-folders) of your SD card in the G1.
5. Disconnect G1 and turn it off.
6. Turn back on the G1 by holding down the Camera and End button AT THE SAME TIME until a screen pops up.
7. Follow the onscreen instructions to “update” then restart the phone once it is done.
8. Â Once the phone boots up completely and shows the homescreen (with the clock), open the keyboard and hit the Enter key twice then type “telnetd” (without the quotes) and then pres enter (it will show the contacts screen most likely, that’s fine).
9. Open the Market application and search for “Telnet” (again without the quotes) and download/install it. Open it once it is downloaded and click Connect to Local Host. (You should see a # symbol).
10. Type the following commands into the telnet program (make sure spaces are in the proper places and hit enter at the end of each line:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
flash_image recovery recovery.img
cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img
11. Once you hit enter after the last line you can then power off the phone.
12. Power back on the phone by holding the End key and the Home button AT THE SAME TIME. Do not let go until you see a screen pop up (should have an !)
13. Open the keyboard and hit the Alt key and the L key at the same time. Then hit the Alt key and the S key at the same time to apply the update.zip file we put on the SD card.
14. Once the update is done, press the Home key and the Back key AT THE SAME TIME to restart the phone. DONE!
YOU NOW HAVE ROOT, but where’s the fun stuff? Well now that you have rooted your phone, you can download the custom ROMs that give you all the neat new features. We’ll show you how to do that and give you a few of our favorites in different video. Search the How To section under Categories for videos on how to load custom ROMs.
Here is a link to our video on How to Load a Custom ROM, Radio, or Theme to your now rooted G1.
Issue: I get an error, failure, or nothing happens when I get to the rainbow screen and try to load Dreaimg.nbh file.
Solution: The dreaimg.nbh file is either not on the topmost folder of the SD card OR the file is corrupt or incomplete.
Delete the file off of your SD card and then re download it from our site or on XDA-Developers.com and then put it on the topmost folder of the SD card. You may have to do this multiple times before it finally works. KEEP DOING THIS UNTIL IT WORKS!
Issue: I’m stuck on the G1 screen!
1. To fix this, simply take out the memory card from the G1 and put it into the SD adapter it came with then put that into the computer/laptop.
2. Find the update.zip file that is on your SD card and delete it (if you have one).
3. Then put a ROM you want to use (if a Hero ROM doesn’t work then use a Non-Hero ROM) on the SD card in the topmost folder (not in any subfolders) and rename it to update.zip.
4. Put the memory card back into the phone and turn the phone on by holding Home and End till the recovery screen comes up (for most people this is a triangle with an ! in it).
5. Hit Alt W to wipe the phone (it might reboot, if it does and it is still stuck on the G1 logo, then take out the battery and put it back in and continue to step 6).
6. Turn on the phone again by holding down the Home and End button till you get to the ! screen again and hit Alt S to load the update.
7. Once it is done, reboot the phone and it should pass the G1 screen this time.