Now that you have rooted your LG Optimus G Pro, the next step is install a custom recovery. This is in case you want to try out custom ROMs that offer much more functionality than the stock LG ROM. The guide below is pretty easy to use and you don’t even need a PC to do it!
I. Before You Begin
1. You will need to be rooted for this procedure to work. Use our guide here, if you are not rooted already.
2. Charge your device to 75% or more before you start and back up everything you feel is important to you before you start.
3. Following this procedure will void your warranty if you have any left. Only continue if you are okay with this.
4. This procedure should work with all variants of the E98x model (E980, E985, E988 and E989) except for the AT&T E980 version with the recent 10P firmware update
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Installing Custom Recovery on the Optimus G Pro
1. Once the app is installed, open it up and you should be asked for Superuser access. Grant Superuser privileges.
2. Tap on the Unlock my phone button and tap on I agree to the warning popup.
3. On the next Disable LGE Security popup, tap on Yes. The app will now show you the relevant custom recoveries for your device.
4. From the drop-down menu, select your preferred custom recovery. We advise you go with the TWRP version as it is touch enabled but you could also choose ClockworkMod Recovery if that’s what you like.
5. Once selected, tap on Unlock my phone and tap on I agree for the warning again. The app will now download the selected boot image and recovery image to your device, and back up your original boot and recovery images.
6. Once installed, you should see the ‘Success. Your [device name] has been liberated!‘ message. Tap on the Yay! button.
That’s it! You now have a custom recovery installed on your device. To access custom recovery, power down your phone, then press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons until you get to the fastboot mode. Now, press the Volume Down button twice and the Power button to enter recovery mode.