Every Android device has, what is called, a recovery image on it. This is basically a part of the Android operating system that you or the manufacturer can access if your device becomes unresponsive and then use it to restore your device.
A custom recovery image, however, is a recovery image that a developer has altered that can not only help the device if it becomes responsive, but also has the added benefits of allowing us to make major changes to the operating system and have even further customizations on your device.
In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash a custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Mini.
After flashing a custom recovery on Galaxy Mini, you’ll be able to:
- Perform full backups of your device (literally save EVERYTHING from it).
- Increase your device’s performance (after flashing something called a kernel).
- Increase your device’s battery life.
- Flash custom ROMs (these make it possible to flash a newer version of Android, totally new user interfaces, add tons of new features, and much more).
Interested? Here’s how to flash a custom recovery on your Galaxy Mini:
I. Before You Begin
1. Charge your device to 75% or more to prevent unwanted shutdowns.
2. Back up everything important on your device, although data loss is unlikely.
3. Please not that this is only a temporary custom recovery solution. You’ll have to follow the steps in Section III of this post every time you want to access ClockworkMod Recovery.
II. Necessary Downloads
recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-tass.zip [File attached to this post]
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Galaxy Mini
1. Connect your device to your PC and copy the recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-tass.zip file to your device’s SD card.
2. Power off your device and boot it into recovery mode. To do this, with the device powered off, press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons until your device boots into recovery mode.
3. Use the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight ‘install update from sdcard‘ and the Home button to execute the option.
4. Navigate to the location of recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-tass.zip and flash the zip file.
You can access CWM using the steps as on #2 of Section III.
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Galaxy Mini to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.