A custom ROM is a custom version of Android for your device. After you have rooted your device and flashed a custom recovery on it, you can then use the recovery to flash a custom ROM. Thanks to a sizeable community of developers, there are a lot of these third-party ROMs to choose from (depending on the device) and each one is unique. Developers usually give you the latest version of Android in their ROM, their own custom themes, options, and a ton of other customization options and enhancements.
In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash a custom ROM on your Asus Transformer TF300T.
After flashing a custom ROM on the Transformer TF300T, you’ll be able to:
- Flash newer versions of Android that the manufacturer hasn’t provided yet.
- Utilize different UI skins or stock Android(HTC’s Sense UI, Samsung’s TouchWiz UI, LG Optimus UI).
- Increase performance
- Increase battery life
- More customization options than stock ROMs
Interested? Here’s how to flash a custom ROM on your Asus Transformer TF300T:
I. Before You Begin
1. You must be rooted to do this tutorial. Head to our Rooting How To’s section, find your device, and do the How to Root tutorial listed for it there then return to this tutorial to continue.
2. You must also have a custom recovery flashed on your device before doing this tutorial. Head to our Rooting How To’s section, find your device, and do the How to Flash a Custom Recovery tutorial listed for it there then return to this tutorial to continue.
II. Choose a Custom ROM to Flash
1. Head to our ROM repository and choose your device.
2. Choose a ROM of your liking.
3. Click the download link in the ROM post to be taken to the developer’s page for that ROM.
4. Search through the developer’s page for the download link for the latest version of that ROM (usually located in the first post in a forum or under Downloads).
5. Save the ROM to your desktop of your computer.
III. Flash the Custom ROM on your Transformer TF300T
1. Connect your device to your PC and copy over your selected ROM to your device’s SD card. This file will usually be in .zip format.
2. Power down your device and put it into TWRP Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons (with the device off), then use the Volume Up key to enter TWRP Recovery.
3. Tap on the Backup button and then mark the Boot, System and Data options. Then, swipe the Swipe to Back up button.
4. Go back to the main menu by tapping the Home button at the bottom.
4. Tap on the Install button.
5. Navigate to the location of the ROM zip file you copied above to your SD card and tap on it.
6. Swipe the Swipe to Confirm Flash button.
7. Once flashed, tap on the Wipe cache/dalvik button and then swipe to start the process.
8. Tap on Reboot System.
IV. Flash Another Custom ROM (Optional)
After you have a custom ROM on your device, you can always repeat this process to flash another one and try out different ones until you find one that suits your needs.
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot tutorial listed for it there.