How to Install Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview (Video)
Microsoft’s new version of Windows Phone has just become available to developers and will be available to the public in a few months. This update is huge for Microsoft as it adds a lot of features that many people are feeling “matures Windows Phone” and makes a little more competitive with the other major operating mobile systems. While, that has yet to be determined, if you want to try it out for yourself, you can. So long as you either have a developer account, have a developer unlocked device, or an open app project in the Windows Phone App Studio, you can install the developer preview and start using it now. Interested? In this post, I’ll show you how to open an app project and how to install Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview onto any Windows Phone 8 device.
*You cannot revert back to Windows Phone 8 after doing this, so keep that in mind.
I. Before You Begin
1. If you do this, you cannot easily downgrade back to Windows Phone 8, so you’ll be stuck with it until you find a stock ROM to flash to get back to stock (which you may not be able to find).
II. Create a New Developer Project
1. Head to http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/.
2. Click on the blue button at the top right that says “Start a New Project”.
3. Choose any of the templates to start a new project (that we won’t use).
III. Install the Developer Preview App
1. On your Windows Phone device, head to the App Store.
2. Search for and install the Preview for Developers app.
3. On the phone, go to Settings > Phone Update and click for Phone Update and reboot the device. You may have to do this many times until you get to the latest Windows Phone 8.1 version.
IV. Setup Cortana
1. To use Cortana, Microsoft’s version of Siri/Google Now, you need to set your region to United States, English and your language to English (United States) as well if it isn’t already.
Enjoy playing with the new features and let me know what you think! Is it enough to get Windows Phone in better competition with Android and iOS?