Now that you have a custom recovery on your Desire 500, all you have to do is root it to get complete control of it the way HTC never wanted you to. The guide below is pretty easy to use and you should be done in no time!
I. Before You Begin
1. You will need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device for this procedure to work. If you don’t already have it, use our guide and then come back here.
2. Back up everything you feel is important before you start.
3. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin.
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Rooting the Desire 500
1. Connect your device to your PC and copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip to your device’s SD card.
2. Boot your device to recovery mode. To do this:i. Power off your device, take the battery out and put it back in. ii. Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until you see a screen with choices. iii. Navigate to Recovery using the Volume keys and use the Power button to select the option.
3. Select ‘Install zip from sdcard‘ and then navigate to the location of CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip. Use the Power button to select the file and then select yes to start flashing the zip file.
4. Once flashed, go to the main menu and select select ‘reboot system now‘.
That’s it! You are now rooted and if you don’t believe it, look for the Superuser app in your app drawer or use apps like Root Checker Lite to confirm!