Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you root the Motorola Moto X Play, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Motorola Moto X Play:
I. Before You Begin
1. This could void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for anything that happens from doing this tutorial so please proceed at your own risk.
2. You need a Windows based PC in order to do this procedure.
3. You should have Motorola USB drivers installed on your PC. If you don’t, install them first.
4. This should erase all the data stored on your device. So, please backup everything that you’ll need.
5. This should also flash a custom recovery on your device.
How to Root the Motorola Moto X Play
To root the device, you’ll first unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, and then flash SuperSU using the custom recovery to achieve root access. Here’s how:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download TWRP Recovery and save it to your desktop.
3. Download SuperSU and save it to your desktop.
SuperSU for Marshmallow (Download this if you’re running Android Marshmallow)
III. Unlocking the Bootloader on the Motorola Moto X Play
1. Extract files from Fastboot over to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Turn your device back on in fastboot mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
4. Your device should now be in fastboot mode.
5. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
6. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
7. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
8. You should see a string of text on your screen. Copy it to your clipboard removing any spaces so that it is a long string of text.
9. Head over to the Motorola Bootloader Unlock website and get yourself logged-in. If you don’t have an account with them, create one now.
10. One of the steps on that website will ask you to paste the string of text. Just paste the string that you’ve already copied to your clipboard and follow the on-screen instructions.
11. You’ll receive an unlock key to your email address. Copy that key to your clipboard.
12. Now, type in the following command replacing KEY with the actual unlock key that you’ve copied to your clipboard and hit Enter:
fastboot oem unlock KEY
13. Wait for it to unlock the bootloader on your device.
14. When it’s done unlocking the bootloader, reboot your device by issuing the following command:
15. Your device should reboot.
And there you go.
The bootloader on your Motorola Moto X Play is now unlocked, and you can now flash a custom recovery on your device. Here’s how you can do that:
IV. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Motorola Moto X Play
1. Turn off your device.
2. Reboot your device into fastboot mode by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
3. Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
4. Open a Command Prompt Window on your desktop. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
6. Wait for it to flash a custom recovery on your device.
7. When it’s done flashing a recovery, reboot your device by using the following command:
8. Your device should reboot.
Your Motorola Moto X Play now has a custom recovery using which you can gain root access on your device. Here’s how:
V. Rooting the Motorola Moto X Play
1. Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
3. Unplug your device from your PC when SuperSU is copied.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Turn your device back on in recovery mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
6. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Select Recovery from the options appearing on your screen.
8. Select Install in the recovery menu.
9. Choose SuperSU .zip to be installed on your device.
10. Tap on Swipe to Confirm Flash to confirm flash.
11. Wait for it to flash SuperSU on your device.
12. When it’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your device by selecting Reboot followed by System in the recovery menu.
13. Your device should reboot.
All set! Now, you can head to my how to flash a custom ROM tutorial for how to flash custom ROMs from my ROM repository onto the phone to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Motorola Moto X Play!
By the way, if you ever need to undo this, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to my Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.
Let me know if this worked for you in the comments below!