Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you root the Motorola Moto X Style, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Motorola Moto X Style:
I. Before You Begin
1. This could void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for anything that happens from doing this tutorial so please proceed at your own risk.
2. You must have a Windows based PC to do this procedure.
3. You should have Motorola USB drivers installed on your PC. Install them if they aren’t already installed.
4. This should erase the data stored on your device. So please backup anything that is important for you.
5. This should also flash a custom recovery on your device.
6. This procedure only works for the XT1575 variant of the device.
How to Root the Motorola Moto X Style
To root the device, you’re going to first unlock the bootloader to then be able to flash a custom recovery. Then, you’ll flash the SuperSU package using the custom recovery to root the device. Here’s how:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download TWRP Recovery and save it to your desktop.
3. Download SuperSU and save it to your desktop.
III. Unlocking the Bootloader on the Motorola Moto X Style
1. Extract files from Fastboot over to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Reboot your device into bootloader mode by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
4. Your device should now be in bootloader mode.
5. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
6. Open a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
7. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
8. You should see a string of text on your screen. Copy it all removing any spaces so that it’s a single long text string.
9. Head over to the Motorola Bootloader Unlock website and sign-in using your account. If you don’t already have an account there, create one now.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions for unlocking the bootloader on your device.
11. The website should ask you to paste the text string that you copied earlier to your clipboard. Paste it into the given box and submit it.
12. You should receive an unlock key to your email address. Copy that key to your clipboard.
13. Now, come back to the Command Prompt Window and enter the following command. Make sure to replace KEY with the actual unlock key that you received from Motorola.
fastboot oem unlock KEY
14. It should begin unlocking the bootloader on your device.
15. When it’s done unlocking the bootloader, reboot your device using the following command:
16. Your device should reboot.
Cheers! Your bootloader is now unlocked, and here’s how you can flash a custom recovery on your device:
IV. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Motorola Moto X Style
1. Turn off your device.
2. Turn your device back on in bootloader mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
3. Your device should enter the bootloader mode.
4. Connect your device to your PC via a USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt Window on your desktop. You can do that by holding down Shift and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
6. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter. Replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
7. Wait for it to flash a custom recovery on your device.
8. When it’s done flashing a recovery, reboot your device by issuing the following command:
9. Your device should reboot.
Your Motorola Moto X Style is now rocking a custom recovery, and here’s how you can use this newly installed recovery to root your device:
V. Rooting the Motorola Moto X Style
1. Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the internal storage on your device. Place it on the top so it’s easily accessible.
3. Disconnect your device from your PC when SuperSU is copied.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Turn your device back on in recovery mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
6. Select Recovery from the options available on your screen.
7. Your device should reboot into recovery mode.
8. Tap on Install in the recovery menu.
9. Choose SuperSU .zip to be installed on your device.
10. Confirm the prompt by tapping Swipe to Confirm Flash.
11. Wait for TWRP to install SuperSU on your device.
12. When it’s done installing SuperSU, reboot your device by choosing Reboot followed by System from the recovery menu.
13. Your device should reboot.
All set! Now, you can head to my how to flash a custom ROM tutorial for how to flash custom ROMs from my ROM repository onto the phone to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Motorola Moto X Style!
By the way, if you ever need to undo this, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to my Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.
Let me know if this worked for you in the comments below!