Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Samsung Galaxy S5 (Europe), you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Samsung Galaxy S5 (Europe):
I. Before You Begin
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting your device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This will increase your KNOX counter.
3. This only works for the SM-G900F model. To find out what model you have, head to Menu > Settings > About phone and it should be listed under Model number.
4. This procedure should only work on Windows based PCs.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Odin and save it to your Desktop.
2. Download CF-Root and save it to your Desktop.
CF-Root (Download link’s given in the third post)
III. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S5 (Europe)
1. Extract files from both Odin and CF-Root by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll open.
3. Click on PDA and choose the CF-Root file you just extracted to your Desktop.
4. Make sure Repartition is unchecked in the Odin.
5. Checkmark the boxes that say Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.
6. Turn OFF your device.
7. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN+Home+Power buttons together.
8. Press Volume UP and you should be in Download mode.
9. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
10. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing the CF-Root file on your device.
11. Once the file’s been flashed, your device should automatically reboot.
12. You’re now rooted!
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom Recovery procedure for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (Europe) to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.