How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1:
I. Before You Begin
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting your device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This only works on Windows based PCs.
3. This should install a custom recovery as well.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Odin and save it to your Desktop.
2. Download CWM Recovery and save it to your Desktop.
CWM Recovery (Download link’s given in the first post)
3. Download Root ZIP and save it to your Desktop.
Root ZIP (Download link’s given in the first post)
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
1. Extract files from Odin and CWM Recovery archives by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll open.
3. Click on PDA and choose the CWM Recovery file you just extracted from the archive.
4. Make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are checked in the Odin.
5. Turn OFF your device.
6. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
7. Your device should reboot into Download mode.
8. Plug in your device to your PC via USB cable.
9. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing the recovery on your device.
10. Once the recovery’s been flashed, your device should automatically reboot.
11. You’re done!
IV. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
1. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Copy the Root ZIP file from your Desktop over to the root of your SD card.
3. Once it’s been copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Turn it back on by holding down Volume UP+Power buttons together.
6. Your device should reboot into recovery mode.
7. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
8. Choose Root ZIP to be flashed on your device.
9. It should start flashing the file on your device.
10. Once the flashing’s done, reboot your device.
11. You’re all done!
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.