Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your Sony Xperia L, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your Xperia L:
I. Before You Begin
1. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin to prevent unwanted shutdowns.
2. Back up everything you feel is important before you start.
II. Necessary Downloads
motochopper.zip [Link available in this post]
III. Rooting the Xperia L
1. Enable USB Debugging on your device by going to Settings > Development and ticking the USB debugging checkbox.
2. Connect your device to your PC. If there are drivers being installed at this point, let them do so.
3. Extract motochopper.zip to a folder on your desktop.
4. From the extracted folder, double-click on run.bat to begin the rooting process.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
6. When you are prompted to accept USB Debugging connection on your device, tap on OK.
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Sony Xperia L to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.