How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Magic

Before you begin make sure you have done our How To Root Your HTC Magic in One Click! procedure.

After you have successfully done that, you can do this procedure.

I. Partition Your Memory Card for Apps2SD or Hero

1. Get into recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn on the phone (if you are not already there).

2. Click on Wipe Data. Once that is done, click on Format Fat32+Ext2+LinuxSwap and wait for it to format.

3. Once it is done, take out the battery and put it back in. Turn on the phone and goto the next step.

II. Load a Custom ROM (including Hero)

1. Download a ROM from our Magic ROMs, MyTouch 3.5mm/Fender ROMs, or MyTouch 3G ROMs section (depending on your phone) to your computer.

2. Plug in your phone and pull down the Notification bar when the SD notification pops up.

3. Click on the notification and select Mount.

4. Once the SD card is on your computer screen, copy the ROM from your computer to your SD card (make sure NOT to put it in any folders on the SD card, just on the SD card by itself).

5. Once it is done copying, rename it on your SD card to update (in windows it should just need to be renamed update and you should still see the Zip folder icon to the left of the file to indicate that it is still

6. Unplug your phone and turn it off.

7. Turn the phone on by holding down Home and Power till you get to the custom recovery screen.

8. Select Wipe from the menu, then select Apply

9. Once it is done, select Reboot and you are all set!

*IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT ROM AFTER THIS, just do section II again with the different ROM and that’s it! Easy!

Reported Issues

Issue: Internet and MMS do not work…

Solution: Goto Settings, Wireless controls, Mobile network settings, Access point names, then click Menu and click New APN. Then put in your Service Provider’s APN settings.

Issue: Stuck at a logo screen or phone won’t boot up…

Solution: Boot the phone back into recovery mode (home and power) and then wipe and apply the again.
If that still doesn’t work then boot into recovery (home and power) then format SD Fat32+ext2+swap and take out the memory card once it is done, put it into your computer and load the rom onto it again. Put the sd card back into the phone, wipe and apply

Issue: Screen goes fuzzy on a custom ROM on the Magic…

Solution: Noone knows why this happens (we have tried a lot of different scenarios). It just seems that it happens to some phones and not to others (might be a kernel issue). So until someone figures out the issue, then do Section IV again and try to load a different ROM. (*If Qtek Hero gives you fuzzy issue then use JACHeroski 1.5, located in our Downloads section on this site, do NOT use Heroski 1.6 it has same issue as Qtek. And visa versa).

177 responses to “How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Magic”

1. HovaDrive says:

This works fine, except i thought i was going to have 2.1, its says 1.5 Mr. Unlockr can you tell me what happen please ? Thank you

2. Santhosh says:

Hi Unlockr,

So can the partition be done on any sd card or can i only do it on the goldcard i created. I used a kingston 2gb microsd to create my goldcard and flashed my custom rom using that for my mytouch fender le. But i have now put back the sandisk 16 gb card that came with the phone. so can i partition this card now and flash rom from the sandisk card. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much!

3. Luis Costa says:

Hi there The Unlocker.

I have a HTC Magic bought it in Portugal.
    HBOOT: 1.76.0009
    RADIO – 6.35

I have been trying to follow ur guide to root my HTC and to install a ROM. i actually was able to install the ROMrecovery-RA-sapphire-v1.6.2H through the boot menu, but after, i reboot the phone, and it got stuck in the htc magic logo. I tried to restore backup and still stuck … nothing i seem to do seems to work… i need help :/

If anyone can help me, this is my email:

Luis Costa

4. omar says:

i used recovery image amon ra 1.7 and i was able to boot the custom recovery menu, then partitioned SD 8 GB :
    swap : 32 MB
    ext2 : 512 MB
    fat32 : remain

flashed Qteknology HTC HERO PORT from [2.73.405.38] 32b
    all was fine BUT
    when its time to boot the new room,it STUCK on OPERATOR LOGO.
    any idea why this failure?
    BTW, the info before and after rooting and flashing is the same

SAPPHIR PVT 32B Ship s-on H
    Hboot-1.33.0010 (SAPP30000)
    RADIO -
    JUN 2 2009, 17:28:28

thanks for help in advance

5. Walter says:

I have the my touch 3.5 and did everything okay except i axcidently wipe data and now i cant get the ubs to communicate with my computer or bring it back to original state.. Can you Please help me?
    All i got is the HTC magic loading up and then a phone that you can’t use the touch screen

6. Mark says:

I have already rooted my mytouch 3g 1.2 and have cyanogen rom running on it.
    If i want to change roms, do i do section I aswell as II or just II.

7. Jonathan says:

8. Humbal Shah says:

man i dont know what went wrong…i followed all your procedure..and last message i got was update completed..but know after rebooting to enjoy my update version….my handset is not moving further..and stuck on initial htc magic logo…please help me what should i do know..i also tried to reset my phone but no luck…

9. Morning Star says:

What if the update is fail? My HTC Magic at verification state, error occur and installation aborted. How to solve it?

10. Kellybellflower says:

in part step 8 do you wipe data or wipe cache

11. Please Help says:

I can’t enter recovery mode after many hours of trying.
    Have the HTC Magic 32A and have flashed the recovery with ClockworkMod (through Rom Manager)
    I have tried  the alternative recovery RA Recovery v1.7.0G. Also when I try to install the older versions it says “An error occurred while flashing your recovery.”
    When trying to enter recovery it either shows the recovery screen and freezes or shows the Rogers screen then goes black and reboots the phone normally.

• Codykinnunen says:

download the recovery.. its usally always on the page…make sure you read all info .. i had no recovery then i downgraded an added the recovery back.. from xda developers site.. soo go there..

12. Jcc2150 says:

what i flashed it once, then it had a problem loading the 2nd time i powered off? it showed E:cant open /cache/recovery/command…any suggestions? please