How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC MyTouch 3G
THIS PROCEDURE IS OBSOLETE, PLEASE ROOT YOUR DEVICE USING ONE OF OUR UNIVERSAL METHODS AND THEN SEARCH THE MARKET FOR ROM MANAGER AND USE THAT TO FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND THEN COME BACK TO SECTION IV.
I. Before You Begin
1. You MUST have done our How To Root the MyTouch 3G Procedure BEFORE doing this one.
II. Partition Your Memory Card for Hero ROMs, Swap, and Apps2SD –
1. With your phone STILL in recovery mode from the How To Root procedure, click on Partition SD Card > Partition SD (this will erase everything off of your memory card).
2. When it asks you, select 96mbs for Swap, 512mbs for ext2 and fat32 for the remainder
3. Once it is done partitioning the memory card, click on Partition SD Card > SD: ext2 to ext3
III. Load your First Custom ROM -
1. Download the custom generic ROM for your device (you can change your ROM after this to whatever one you want, but load this one first as we need to load it to keep the recovery image flashed on the MyTouch):
Generic MyTouch ROM w/ Root – Here
2. In the recovery screen on the phone (that the phone is still in from the first section), select USB-MS toggle to allow the memory card to be mounted.
3. Plug in your phone via usb cable and you should be able to access your memory card on the computer.
4. Save the Generic ROM (leave it as a .zip file) onto the root of the SD card (NOT in any folder, just on the memory card itself).
5. Once they are done transferring to the memory card, unplug the phone from the computer and click the home button on the phone to disable USB-MS toggle mode and get back to the recovery screen.
7. Once the recovery screen menu is up, click on Flash Zip on SDCard and select the ROM .zip file
8. Once it is done, click Reboot System Now.
DONE! You are now Rooted with a generic custom ROM! Feel free to use any root required apps (including Wifi tethering, overclocking apps, etc.)!
If you want to load a different ROM simply follow these steps below…
IV. (Optional) Load a Different Custom ROM
1. Turn off the phone and then turn it back on by holding down Home and Power (keep holding them until you get to the recovery screen).
2. Select USB-MS Toggle.
3. Plug your phone into the computer via USB
4. Download whatever custom ROM you want from our MyTouch 3G ROMs section here on our site and save it to the root of your sd card (NOT in any folder, just on the sd card itself).
5. Unplug the phone from the computer once it is done transferring.
6. Click the Home button on the phone to disable USB-MS Toggle.
7. Select Wipe > Wipe Data / Factory Reset and wait for it to finish.
8. Next, select Flash Zip from SDCard and select the new ROM’s .zip file.
9. Once it is done, select Reboot Device Now and you are done with your new ROM! Repeat Section IV whenever you want to load any other ROM as many times as you’d like!
Issue – After I finish the phone gets stuck on the MyTouch logo or a black screen.
Solution – Take out the battery and put it back in. Boot into recovery mode and Wipe Data factory reset, then reflash the ROM. If that doesn’t work then download a different ROM to your sd card (you can connect to the sd card in recovery mode by clicking ms usb toggle on the recovery screen and plugging into the computer. Make sure you disable the usb toggle once the rom is on the sd card) and wipe data then flash that new ROM.
TheUnlockr.com, your source for how to root, hack, and mod to unlock your device's true potential.Look for your device here to get started.
Need a custom ROM?Check out our ROM Repository to view all the ROMs available for your device.
Check out David's latest videos here.