How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Dell Streak (Updated 12.13.10)
I. Before You Begin
1. You must have done our How To Root the Dell Streak procedure. Once done, you can come to this procedure to continue.
II. Flash a Custom Recovery Image
1. Download the Custom Recovery Image flashing script for your version of Android.
Android 1.6 (If you are on Android 1.6, click this link and then download the recovery files UNDER RECOVERY and download those files).
Android 2.1 (If you are on Android 2.1, click this link and then download the recovery files UNDER RECOVERY and download those files).
2. Turn off your phone, take out the battery, then put the battery back in.
3. Turn on the phone by holding down the Camera button and Power, keep holding them until the bootloader screen comes up.
4. Select Fastboot at the top right and then wait 10 seconds.
5. After the 10 seconds, plug the phone into the computer via the USB cable.
6. Unzip the Recovery Flashing files you downloaded earlier and open the folder.
7. Double click “install-recovery-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish. The phone should automatically reboot and you now have a custom recovery image!
III. Load a Custom ROM
1. Head to our Dell Streak ROMs section and choose a ROM you want, then download it to your computer.
2. Plug your phone in via USB cable and mount the sd card so we can transfer files to it.
3. Copy the ROM .zip file (do not extract it, leave it as a .zip) to the root of the SD card (not in any folders, just on the sd card itself).
4. Unplug the phone and turn it off.
5. Turn it back on by holding down Volume Down, Volume Up and Power and keep holding all three buttons until the recovery screen appears.
6. Select “Software Upgrade via Update.pkg on SD card” to open the custom recovery.
7. Navigate with the volume keys and select using the camera button, and select Nandroid Backup to perform a backup.
8. Once it is done, go back and select Wipe Data.
9. Now, go back and select Apply .zip from SD card and choose the ROM you saved to the sd card. Wait for it to finish flashing.
10. Once done, go back and select Reboot System Now. Once the phone reboots, you are on a custom ROM, enjoy!
Issue: I get stuck at a black screen after I select “Software Upgrade via Update.pkg on SD card”.
Solution: Redo this procedure from the beginning and use the alternative Recovery Flashing Script and try it again.