Loving your new Nexus 7 but, like me, you noticed that there are a few features missing (like Adobe Flash)? Or perhaps you just want to load custom ROMs, overclock and just tinker with the Nexus 7 in general? Well, thanks to the developers over at XDA (as usual), the device is already rooted and running a custom recovery image and even has a few custom ROMs. Here’s how.
1. You must use a Windows computer.
1. Download the WugFresh ToolKit and save it to your desktop of your computer.
WugFresh ToolKit (Scroll down to Downloads and click and download the exe file there)
2. Plug your device in via USB cable to the computer.
3. Double click the exe file to install the program.
4. Right click the WugFresh toolkit and say Run as Administrator.
5. When it launches, select the Nexus 7 as your model.
6. Click on the Full Driver Installation Guide and follow the steps to install the drivers. (If you’ve ever rooted a device on this computer you can skip this and do what I do in the video to install the drivers manually).
7. Click on Backup and choose what you want to backup and wait for that.
8. Once done, select Unlock.
9. Choose Yes on the device.
10. Go through the regular setup process on the device until you get to the home screen.
11. Go to Settings > Developer Options > and turn USB Debugging ON.
12. On the computer, check Permanent CWM and click Root in the program on the computer.
13. Wait for it to finish, then click on SuperUser and then click OK to install the binaries.
14. Once it’s done, go to BusyBox Installer and open it and install Busybox (select Grant when asked to give it permissions). If that works, you are rooted.
1. Now go to the Play Store and install ROM Manager.
2. Open it and select your device.
3. Select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery (select Grant when asked to give it permissions).
4. Once it is done, click Reboot into Recovery.
5. If it reboots and shows you the custom recovery, you are all set!
1. Head to our how to load a custom ROM procedure.
2. Head here for our how to enable flash on the Nexus 7 procedure.
If this procedure helped you, please thank/donate to WugFresh over at XDA!