Now that you have root access, it’s time for the fun stuff. Here I’ll show you how to flash the most popular custom ROM for the Galaxy Gear from developer fOmey (who you should definitely donate to if this procedure ends up helping you). This ROM has a ton of features you can find listed here, but suffice it to say it turns the Galaxy Gear into a full-blown Android device complete with live wallpapers, Play Store, and removes the Samsung signature verification so you can pair the Gear with other devices (although Gear Manager still won’t work without some tweaks I’ll show in a video later this week). Interested? Give it a try, it’s quite easy to flash a custom ROM on the Galaxy Gear.
UPDATE 02/27/14: Replace the video to add the Uncheck Auto Reboot new step.
1. This only works on Windows.
1. Head to our How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Gear procedure, complete it, and return here to continue.
At the time of writing this there is only one popular custom ROM for the gear, but it is pretty awesome. For a full list of its features (including allowing other devices to connect to it besides Samsung verified ones) head to the developer’s page here.
1. Download the Recovery and save it to your Desktop (it is located under Downloads in that post).
*If you get an issue with the recovery screen being too small, download a different version here – http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2463743
2. Download ODIN and save it to your Desktop.
3. Right-click the ODIN .zip file and click extract all.
4. Install ODIN by double-clicking the .exe file inside the newly extracted folder.
5. Hold the power button on the Gear until the Gear says rebooting on the screen.
6. As soon as it says rebooting, quickly tap the power button 5 times while the restart dialog is present to put the device into recovery mode.
7. Press the power button again to select Download Mode.
8. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to select Download Mode.
9. Plug the Gear in via USB cable.
10. Open ODIN (if it isn’t already open).
11. Uncheck the Auto Reboot Option.
12. Select AP in ODIN and then select the Recovery file you downloaded in step 1.
13. Press Start in ODIN to flash it.
14. Manually turn off the Gear by holding down the power button and turning it off (leaving it plugged in).
15. Hold the power button on the Gear until the Gear says rebooting on the screen.
16. As soon as it says rebooting, quickly tap the power button 5 times while the restart dialog is present to put the device into recovery mode.
17. Press the power button twice to navigate and highlight Recovery mode.
18. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to select Recovery Mode.
19. You should see TWRP recovery on the screen, if so it worked.
20. Select Reboot Device in recovery and wait for it to boot up normally.
1. Download the ROM and save it to your Desktop (click on the latest Build then click on the download link under Mirrors on that page).
2. Plug in the Gear via USB cable (if it isn’t still plugged in from before).
3. Open MobileShare (you should have it from our Rooting the Gear procedure, if not download it and install it from here).
4. Click on Files under your device on the left side.
5. Click on SD Card in the right window.
6. Click on the Add button at the top and select the ROM .zip file we downloaded earlier and click OK (do NOT extract the .zip leave it as a .zip file). This will put the .zip file on the internal storage of the Gear.
7. Unplug the Gear.
8. Hold the power button on the Gear until the Gear says rebooting on the screen.
9. As soon as it says rebooting, quickly tap the power button 5 times while the restart dialog is present to put the device into recovery mode.
10. Press the power button twice to navigate and highlight Recovery mode.
11. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to select Recovery Mode.
12. Select Install in TWRP.
13. Select the ROM .zip file we put on the device earlier and swipe to install it.
11. Follow the instructions to choose what features you want in the ROM and continue to click Next until it flashes the ROM.
12. When it’s done flashing, follow the prompts again by clicking Next to reboot the device.
Add a keyboard to the device so you can use things like the Play Store. Basically just install it using the Wondershare program you used in the rooting procedure.
1. Open Wondershare on your computer.
11. Once it opens, click on Google Play Apps.
12. Search for and install Google Keyboard.
13. Open Google Keyboard from the app drawer on the Gear and follow the instructions to install it.
Head to our Galaxy Gear Rooting How To’s page for other how to’s as they get posted.