I. Before You Begin
1. This procedure will downgrade your phone from Android 2.2 Build 2.0.XXXX to Android 2.1 Build 1.31.XXXX. This is necessary if you are to root the phone. Once rooted, you can then flash a custom ROM to get back to Android 2.2 without losing root access.
II. Make a Goldcard
1. Head to our How To Make a Goldcard procedure, make a goldcard and come back to this procedure to continue.
III. Make Phone Downgrade-able
1. On your phone, make sure that USB Debugging is checked ON in Settings > Applications > Development.
2. Plug in your phone and make sure it is connected as Charge Only NOT Disk Drive or something else.
3. Download the Downgrading Tools and extract them to your AndroidSDK\tools\ folder (all of the files need to be in the tools folder with adb).
4. Open a command prompt on your computer by clicking on the Start button and typing cmd and hitting enter in the search box.
5. In the command prompt, type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line:
6. The phone will reboot 5 times, be patient.
7. After it is done, you will see a bunch of error messages, that is normal.
8. Look for the following line, if you see it (the date and time can be different) you are ready to continue, if not then reboot your phone, factory reset it, and try again:
crwxrwxrwx 1 1001 2002 90, 0 Jul 19 16:19 /dev/mtd/mtd0
IV. Downgrade Using the RUU
1. Download the Legend 1.13 RUU
2. With your phone plugged in still, right click the RUU and run as administrator (if you don’t have that option just double click it).
3. Follow the prompts to downgrade your phone. All done!
V. Root the Phone
1. Head to our How To Root the HTC Legend procedure immediately after finishing this procedure to continue.