How To: Load a Custom ROM (including Hero ROMs) on Your HTC Magic (OBSOLETE)
PLEASE NOTE! This method is obsolete! Please refer to the newer Rooting/Loading Custom ROM methods on our site:
Root, thenÂ Load a Custom ROM, Apps2SD/Hero etc.
1. Once you have Rooted your HTC Magic without any issues, find a ROM that you want to use either in our Android ROM sections and download it to your computer (MAKE SURE THAT YOU ONLY TRY TO USE A ROM FOR THE HTC MAGIC AND FOR THE CORRECT MOTHERBOARD, 32A or 32B or you will brick your phone!
Procedure for 32A and 32B –
1. Download a ROM (make sure you are downloading a ROM specific to your own motherboard, 32A ROMs for 32A motherboards and 32B ROMs for 32B motherboards).
2. Save the ROM you want to use to your computer.
3. Plug in your phone via USB cable and pull down the notification on the phone’s screen. Select USB and click Mount.
4. Copy the ROM you downloaded earlier to the SD card of the phone and rename it to update.zip.
5. Turn off the phone
6. Turn the phone back on by holding down the Home and Power button to get into recovery mode.
12. Once the phone boots up into the recovery screen, select Apply sdcard:update.zip from the options.
13. Once the phone reboots, you should be running a new custom ROM!
Issue: When I open the command prompt and do step 9 and type fastboot devices, nothing comes up.
Solution: You need to load the drivers, go back to to the How To Root Your HTC Magic video.
Issue: I loaded the ROM and everything worked, but now I can’t type anything.
Solution: Goto Menu > Settings >Locale & text then click Select locale.
Select your location/language.
Go back and click on Touch input and make sure it is correct for your language.
Go back and click on Tutorial and the keyboard should come up. Close it and you should have the keyboard in all apps now.
Issue: When I get into the recovery screen on the computer and try to push the Apply SDCard Update.zip option it just gives me an error saying something about it can’t mount the SDcard or something?
Solution: Hit Reboot and then take out the battery from the phone.
Then take out the memory card and put it back in, then put the battery back in.
Turn on the phone by holding down the back and power key and wait until FASTBOOT comes up on the screen.
Start back at Step 11 and try again. (If it gives you the same error, repeat this solution and try again).