How To: Load the HTC Hero ROM onto Your G1 (OBSOLETE)
PLEASE NOTE! This method is obsolete! Please refer to the newer Rooting/Loading Custom ROM methods on our site:
Unroot (G1) ORÂ Unroot(MyTouch), thenÂ Root, thenÂ Load a Custom ROM, Apps2SD/Hero etc.
So you like HTC’s new Rosie Interface on their new HTC Hero phone? We do too. Well, if you have a G1 we have a way you can try it out! Only problem is that it doesn’t run very well… but if you know what you’re doing and are just HAVE to try it, go for it. Steps below.
PLEASE Keep in mind, that the G1 has some 90MBs of RAM less than the HTC Hero so it can’t run the widgets and UI very smoothly. We just figured we’d put this up for the brave who wanted to check it out for themselves. If you can wait, wait. Hopefully someone will come up with a better version of this ROM…
*Some Notes about the New Hero Roms Â –
- Once you reboot after loading the ROM and go through the set up process the phone will reboot. It’s normal.
- After you get to the home screen for the first time, just set the phone down as it will sync with Google servers like normal, but the phone is reallly slow while it is syncing for the first time so just go take a nap or something.
- As with all Hero ROMs, the less widgets, the faster the ROM. So don’t go nuts with widgets just yet (still waiting for an optimized ROM that will let us do that…)
- NO NEED TO RELOAD THE RADIO AND SPL IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE SO! Just rename the new ROM file to update.zip, put on SD card and Alt W then Alt S in the recovery utility.
We only recommend people familiar with flashing radios, roms, spls, etc. attempt this. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
!!!BEFORE YOU BEGIN THIS, YOU MUST HAVE DONE THE ROOTED YOUR PHONE (Click Here for How To Video), Loaded a Custom ROM (Click Here for How To Video), and then done the Apps2SD procedure (Click Here for How To Video)!!!
1. CHECK WHAT RADIO YOU HAVE! Power off the phone, power it back on holding the End key and the Camera button.
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE Radio Version 18.104.22.168I then do NOT download the Radio listed here and SKIP STEPSÂ 6 – 10 (If you load the same radio twice it can harm your device!).
2. Take out the battery and put it back in then turn the phone on.
4. Plug in the G1 to the computer, pull down the notification and click it. Then click Mount.
5. Save each one to the memory card of the G1 in the root (topmost) folder.
6. Rename the Radio file to update (YOU MUST LOAD THE RADIO FIRST, DO NOT DO THESE OUT OF ORDER OR YOU WILL FREEZE YOUR DEVICE).
7. Unplug the G1.
8. Turn off the G1.
9. Turn back on the G1 by holding down Home and End buttons at the same time. When the screen comes up, Alt S to apply the radio update.
10. Once the phone is done hold Home and Back to reboot (it may
11. Plug in the G1, open the SD card on the computer, and delete the update.zip file (used to be the Radio file), and rename the SPL file to update.zip this time.
12. Unplug the G1 and turn it off. Turn it back on holding Home and End again.
13. Hit Alt W to wipe the device (it may automatically reboot, if so just take out the battery once the G1 screen comes on and put it back in. Then turn the phone back on by holding the Home and End key) then hit Alt S to apply the SPL update.
14.Â Once the phone is done hold Home and Back to reboot.
15. Your G1 will most likely get stuck on the G1 screen after it reboots. No worries. Just take out the battery and put it back in. Then take out the SD card from the phone and put it into the SD adapter it came with and put that into your computer.
16. Open the SD card on your computer. Delete the update.zip file and rename the Hero ROM to update.zip.
17. Put the memory card back into the G1 and then turn the G1 back on by holding the Home and End keys.
18. When the screen comes on, then hit Alt S to apply the Hero ROM.
19. Once the phone is done hold Home and Back to reboot.
20. Wait a long time for the phone to boot up (it may take a while to boot up, so long as you do not see the logo symbol with the android popping out over and over and over then keep waiting. If you do see the android popping out over and over, then take out the battery, put it back in, and turn the phone on).
21. If a Root warning comes up about swapper, hit Deny (NOT Always Deny, just Deny). Then continue with the setup process.
22. Once the phone is at the home screen and you have set everything up, goto Terminal in your menu and type:
chown system.system /data/app
^This will allow you to download applications from the Market.
23. Then goto Swapper in your programs and open it. Click on Settings and Swap Place.
24. Change the Swap location from /sdcard/swapfile.swp to /system/sd/swap.swp then click back.
25. Click on Swap ON. Once it is done, click the home button.
Enjoy trying the ROM. If you find it too slow and frustrating to use, simply use the update.zip method to load a different ROM (the SPL and Radio will remain updated forever unless you change those so if you go back to a non-hero ROM and then want to try a new Hero ROM again, just skip the first 15 steps).
Let me know how it goes for everyone!
Issue: I have the Hero ROM and I only have 70-80MBs of free internal space, why don’t I have 1300mbs or whatever I had before I went to the Hero ROM?
Solution: The Hero ROM does not correctly support the Apps2SD procedure like the other, more stable ROMs do.
Issue: I’m stuck on the G1 screen!
If this happened during step 14, then just read step 15! 🙂
If this happened after step 19, then redo steps 15-19.
If you tried solution A without any luck, read the next issue below and try the 2 solutions below it.
Issue: I’m stuck at the HTC logo, and the Android keeps popping up and taunting me over and over! OR I’m stuck at the G1 logo and the above solution didn’t work!
1. Take out the battery from the phone.
2. Put the battery back in (do NOT turn the phone on yet).
3. Hold the End and Home key and keep holding them until the ! or recovery image pops up.
4. Hit Alt W to wipe the phone. (See if it gets past the HTC logo/G1 Logo already, if not then repeat steps 1-3, and then do step 5).
5. Hit Alt S to reupload the Update.zip file (See if it gets past the HTC logo/G1 LogoÂ now, if not then try Solution B).
1. Take out the battery from the phone.
2. Take out the memory card.
3. Put the memory card into the SD adapter it came with and put that into your computer so you can view the memory card contents on your computer screen.
4. Open the memory card on your computer and then delete the update.zip file on it.
5. Take the Hero ROM.zip file and put it onto the memory card. Rename it to update.
6. Put the memory card back into the phone.
7. Put the battery back into the phone (do NOT turn it on yet).
8. Hold the End and Home key and keep holding them until the ! or recovery image pops up.
9. Hit Alt S to reupload the Update.zip file.