How to Root the HTC Desire 610
Did you get an HTC Desire 610 as your birthday gift? Do you want to gain root-access on it so you can unlock all of its features that aren’t currently available to you? No problem, this guide should teach you how you can root your Desire 610 and then get the most out of it.
Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights on your Android device. Once we root our Android device, we can then make changes to it to customize it well beyond what it normally can do.
Once you have root access on your HTC Desire 610, you’ll be able to:
- Remove apps that were preinstalled by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customizations when you use your new found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM (again, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
Interested? Here’s how to root your HTC Desire 610:
I. Before You Begin
1. This will void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible if you end-up bricking or damaging your device. Do it at your own risk.
2. You must have unlocked your bootloader. If you haven’t done so yet, please head to the HTCDev website and get your bootloader unlocked first.
3. This should first flash a recovery and then root your device.
4. This procedure should only work on Windows based PCs.
5. You should’ve appropriate drivers installed on your PC. If you haven’t, you can download and install the latest drivers from here.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download TWRP Recovery and save it to your desktop.
TWRP Recovery Image (Download the version that ends with .img extension)
3. Download SuperSU .zip and save it to your desktop.
III. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the HTC Desire 610
1. Extract files from Fastboot to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Enable USB debugging on your device by heading to Menu > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging.
3. Plug in your device to your PC via USB cable.
4. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop. To do that, simply hold down Shift and right-click on any blank area on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
7. Then, issue the following command replacing filename.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded:
fastboot flash recovery filename.img
8. It should flash the TWRP Recovery on your device.
9. When the recovery’s flashed, reboot your device.
10. You’re done!
You’re already half-way there to gain root-access on your device. Since you now have a custom recovery on your device, you can flash the SuperSU package and root your device. Here’s how:
IV. Rooting the HTC Desire 610
1. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the root of your SD card.
3. When it’s copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
6. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Select Recovery from the bootloader menu.
8. Select Install.
9. Select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your device.
10. Tap on Swipe to Confirm Flash.
11. It should begin flashing the selected file on your device.
12. When it’s done, tap Reboot followed by System.
13. You’re all done!
Excellent! Your HTC Desire 610 is now rooted. To confirm the same, you can install Root Checker from the Google Play store. You now have the ability to flash custom ROMs and Mods on your device.
You can click here to find all of the HTC Desire 610 How To’s.
You can also find all of the HTC Desire 610 ROMs we have here.