With an 8 core processor, 13MP camera, and dual-sim capabilities with a lower than normal price tag south of $200 the Huawei Honor 4C isn’t a bad option for someone looking for a budget phone with decent specs (and thanks to that dual-sim, especially if that someone is in Asia or other countries that use dual-sim a lot).
Besides the hardware though, Huawei, like most manufacturers, put on their own custom user interface over Android to differentiate their phones from the other Android phones on the market, and while this does add some features specific to the phone, it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
No worries though, if you’d like to remove the custom UI from the device, you actually can. While it is embedded in the system, we can root the Huawei Honor 4C and gain administrative rights to then flash different versions of the OS (aka custom ROMs). To do this, we’re going to actually request the help of Huawei themselves by asking them for a code to allow us to unlock their bootloader (thank you, Huawei for not being sticklers about us rooting our phones!) and then once that’s unlocked we can then flash an app to give us root access and go from there. Here’s how.
I. Before You Begin
1. This could void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for anything that happens from doing this tutorial so please proceed at your own risk.
2. You need a Windows based PC to do this procedure.
3. You should have ADB drivers installed on your Windows PC.
4. This should also flash a custom recovery on your device.
How to Root the Huawei Honor 4C
To root the device, you’ll first get an unlock code from Huwei, use it to unlock the bootloader to then flash a custom recovery, and then flash root file to gain root-access on the device. Here’s how:
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Root Package and save it to your desktop.
III. Requesting a Bootloader Unlock Code for the Huawei Honor 4C
1. Open your email program and compose a new email with the recipient being firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Here’s the template that you can use to request an unlock code from Huawei:
I would like to request an unlock code to unlock the bootloader on my Huawei Honor 4C.
Product: Huawei CHM-U01
Product Number: XXX
3. To find your SN (Serial number), head to Menu > Settings > About phone > Status and you will see it listed in there.
4. You can find out your IMEI number by dialling *#06# just like any other normal phone number on your device and it should tell you your IMEI number which is a 15 digit numeric code.
5. To find out your Product number, dial *#*#1357946#*#* on your device and you will be able to see it on your screen.
After a day or two, you’ll receive an email from Huawei with an unlock code that you can use to unlock the bootloader on your device. Here’s how you can do that:
IV. Unlocking the Bootloader on the Huawei Honor 4C
1. Extract files from Root Package over to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Head to Menu > Settings > About phone on your device and tap on Build number for 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer. It’ll unlock the developer options menu for you.
3. Head to Menu > Settings > Developer options on your device and turn on USB debugging.
4. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
6. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
7. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
8. When your device is in bootloader mode, type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter. Make sure to replace KEY with the unlock code that you have received from Huawei.
fastboot oem unlock KEY
9. Wait for it to unlock the bootloader on your device.
10. When the bootloader is unlocked, reboot your device by issuing the following command:
11. Your device should reboot.
The bootloader on your Huawei Honor 4C is now unlocked, and here’s how you can flash a custom recovery on the device:
V. Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei Honor 4C
1. Head to Menu > Settings > About phone on your device and tap on Build number for 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer.
2. Head to Menu > Settings > Developer options on your device and enable USB debugging.
3. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
4. Open a Command Prompt Window on your desktop by holding down Shift and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Type in the following command and hit Enter:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
8. Wait for it to flash a custom recovery on your device.
9. When it’s done flashing a recovery, reboot your device using the following command:
10. Your device should reboot.
Great! You now have a custom recovery on your device, and here’s how you can go about rooting your device:
VI. Rooting the Huawei Honor 4C
1. Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
2. Copy Root.zip from your desktop over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
3. When Root.zip is copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Turn your device back on in recovery mode by holding down Volume UP, Volume DOWN, and Power buttons together.
6. Select Recovery from the options appearing on your screen.
7. You should now be in CWM Recovery mode.
8. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
9. Choose Root.zip to be installed on your device.
10. Confirm the prompt and wait for it to flash root.zip on your device.
11. When it’s done flashing, reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
12. Your device should reboot.
You’re now rooted and have a custom recovery which will allow you to flash custom ROMs that you find. Be sure to check out my how to flash a custom ROM tutorial for more info on that and look for the device in my ROM repository if you already know how to flash them.
Hope that helped someone and let me know in the comments if it worked or if you had any issues!