I. Before You Begin
1. This should work on the Motorola Droid (the original Droid from Verizon) and will work on any version of Android up to Android 2.2 Build FRG22D (the latest version currently).
2. THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DATA AND YOU MAY NEED TO REACTIVATE THE DROID TO LOGIN AFTER COMPLETING SECTION II.
II. Flash a Recovery Image via RSD Lite
1. Download RSD Lite, the Drivers, and the Custom Recovery .sbf file
2. Download the Root file and save it to the root of your sd card (NOT in any folders, just on the SD card itself)(do NOT extract it leave it as update.zip):
3. Install RSDLite by double clicking the RSD Lite.msi file you just downloaded.
4. Once RSDLite is installed, unzip the drivers folder you downloaded (32 bit OR 64 bit), then double click the Motorola Consumer Driver Installer application and install the drivers.
5. Plug in your phone to the computer via USB cable.
6. Turn the phone off while it is plugged in.
7. Turn on the phone by holding down Power and UP on the DPad of the keyboard on the phone.
8. Open the RSDLite program by right clicking it and selecting Run As Administrator.
9. Click on the “…” button next to the filename box and select the .sbf file you downloaded earlier.
10. Once it is selected, hit Start.
11. As soon as your phone starts to reboot, hold down the volume up key on the DPad on your phone to get it back into bootloader mode (the RSD Lite program should now say Finished and PASS and your phone should say Bootloader at the top).
12. You can now take out the battery and put it back in after a few seconds to turn off the phone. (LEAVE IT OFF FOR NOW)
III. Flash the Root Update
1. Turn the phone on now while holding down the X key on the qwerty keyboard and the power button at the same time (keep holding until the recovery screen comes up).
7. On the menu use the dpad buttons to navigate to Install then Allow Update.zip Installation then Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) and select it using the center dpad button.
8. Wait for it to finish updating then reboot the phone via the menu when it is done. Viola!
9. (Optional) To load a custom ROM on your phone, procedure to the How To Load a Custom ROM procedure.