I. Before You Begin
1. This method gives you temporary root, but you can go to the next procedure immediately after finishing this one to get permanent root and s-off.
2. This will allow you to WiFi tether (if you can find an appropriate WiFi tethering app for the phone), and even overclock the phone (see our How To Overclock the G2).
II. Root the G2
1. On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is ON (it MUST be ON) and make sure Fastboot is checked OFF (it MUST be OFF).
2. UPDATE, PLEASE READ: Visionary was removed from the Market, please download it from here instead. Save it to your phone’s memory card, then simply open it on your phone with any file manager app (like Linda File Manager for free from the Market for example) find the visionary apk file in the file manager and click it and follow the prompts to install it.
3. Install Visionary from Modaco.
4. Once installed, open Visionary and check ON Temp Root After Reboot, and check ON System R/W After Root. Then click TempRoot Now and wait for it to finish.
5. Once it is done, you have temp root and can use rooted apps without rebooting, OR continue to the next procedure to gain persistent root access and s-off to load custom ROMs, etc.
III. Gain Persistent Root and S-OFF
1. Head over to our How To: Gain Permanent Root and S-OFF on the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision