The Asus Zenfone 2 is one of the devices with Android 5.0 Lollipop running on it out of the box –unlike most other devices that come loaded with KitKat and then require you to either manually install an update to get to Lollipop, the Zenfone 2 eliminates that hassle for you by letting you use the latest and the greatest version of Android right away (something other manufacturers could learn from).
While Android Lollipop has everything you need to get your tasks done, there are those of us out there that demand a bit more than what they get with a stock ROM. If you’re one of those users, you might want to root your device.
Rooting your device, aka gaining administrative rights, opens up opportunities for you to customize your device to a much greater extent than that of an unrooted device. Not only can you use root required apps to change some of the functionality (ability to remove bloatware is up there with one of the big apps that require root), you can even flash a custom recovery to install a custom ROM on your device and change the entire OS, UI, and more.
Before you can do any of these things though, you must be rooted. So here’s how you can go about rooting your Asus Zenfone 2:
I. Before You Begin
1. As with all of these types of tutorials, this may void the warranty of your device. Do it at your own risk.
2. Download and install the Asus USB Drivers on your PC, if you haven’t done so yet.
3. This should only work on a Windows based PC.
II. Downloading Required Files
1. Download Fastboot and save it to your desktop.
2. Download Pre-Rooted System Image and save it to your desktop.
Pre-Rooted Image (Download the one that is for your specific model of the device)
III. Rooting the Asus Zenfone 2
1. Extract files from both Fastboot and Pre-Rooted System Image to your desktop. To do that, right-click on both the archives one by one and select Extract here to extract their files.
2. Head to Menu > Settings > About phone on your device and tap on Build number for about 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer.
3. Head back to Settings and tap on Developer options.
4. Turn ON the USB debugging option.
5. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
6. Hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here. It will launch a Command Prompt Window for you to issue commands to your device.
7. When it launches, type in the following command and press Enter:
8. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
9. Now, rename the system image that you have downloaded to system.img. You can do that by right-clicking on the system image and selecting Rename.
10. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter:
fastboot flash system system.img
11. Wait for it to flash the system image on your device.
12. When it’s done flashing the image, reboot your device by issuing the following command:
13. Your device should reboot.
14. You are all done!
And there you go.
Your Asus Zenfone 2 should now be rooted and you can confirm the root status using Root Checker on your device.
That was all you needed to do to get rooted, easy, right? Enjoy your new found freedom and feel free to reach out with any questions!